The First Spark

The very first time Shannon made my heart race, was six years ago. Back then, the thirteen year old me never imagined that six years later, she'd still be in control of it. Even worse, I never thought that I would become such a pathetic loser because of her. 

"Um... Quincey," I faintly hear Anthony call me like he's in pain. "Quincey please... Ca-can we take a little break?"

My system has shut everything out. I'm hearing him, but my brain is not making sense of what he is saying.

We're at the gym, I'm smashing the heavy bag, throwing snap punches at it as he helps me to hold it in place. When I woke up this Tuesday morning, I never thought anything like this would happen. Things were finally good between Shannon and I, but it seems like I was the only one thinking that way. At least if I understood why she was so angry with me, why she keeps pushing me away maybe I would accept it better. Or at least I'd know how to correct my mistake, but she didn't even give me a chance. After our heated conversation I rushed here, to the gym, to let out some steam.

I'm punching harder and faster, yet I can't get rid of her voice in my head:

"I don't want to see you again."  

"You annoy me." 

"Get away!"

I increase the speed and strength of my punches to match the level of my frustration. I don't know for how long I've been hitting this punching bag, thirty minutes? One hour? Anthony complains more, but his voice is not reaching me. Shannon's voice is the only one I'm hearing. 

"I can't stand you!" 

"I hate everything about you!"

I'm having a lethal fight with the heavy bag, punching like my goal is to spill out it's guts. It's the only way for me not to go crazy while Shannon's voice lingers in my head. 

"Get lost." 

"I don't want to see your face anymore."

I throw one last punch giving everything I got. 

"Aaaahh!" 

My voice silences the gym for a moment. The guys stop whatever it is they were doing and turn to me wondering what made me shout. I'm panting heavily, looking at the ceiling as I feel drops of sweat roll down my face. My mind is empty, but I know it won't be for long. Anthony has fallen on the floor surprised at my actions, he's apologizing for not holding the punching bag well, thinking he's the reason for my frustration. 

I concentrate on my breathing as I close my eyes. The guys murmur a bit before getting back to their business, and I can hear Anthony taking that chance to run away. 

Calm down, I tell myself. Calm down.  

I open my eyes and remove my gloves sluggishly as I move to the bench and slump on it. Rustling through my bag I find my towel and place it over my head, I don't want anyone to see my face, because the jabs Shannon threw at me earlier are still hurting. With my elbows on my knees and the towel covering my head, I dive into my world and start to reminisce. 

The first time I met Shannon Dugray, I sincerely disliked her. I may have been quick to judge, but she immediately stood out as someone that encompassed everything I hated about my peers in general: selfish, insensitive and spoiled. 

"You guys stay here," Tiffany said. "I'll go get the ice cream."

After our first forced encounter on the first week of that summer, Tiffany had been trying to make Shannon and I meet as often as possible. She was twelve and I was thirteen. What annoyed me most about her was her whiny attitude, she didn't act her age. At twelve you're no longer a baby, but it seemed like she didn't get the memo.