"The Game of Love and Chance"

"Don't you feel even a little bit guilty?" Mandy increases the volume of her voice, almost shouting wanting everyone in the canteen to hear. "Tiffany is away, and here you are, strutting around with Quincey. You've had your eyes on him for a while huh? Did you forget that Tiffany is your friend or is it just in your nature to be a sly wench?"

Our public reacts with a grunt of agreement, showing Mandy their support. 

"You're such a hypocrite," I retort refusing to back down. "Clearly, you're head over heels for him. Yet here you are acting like you're holier than thou."

"There's no reason for me to deny it," Mandy shrugs. "Yeah, I like Quincey. However, unlike you, I actually respect Tiffany. So I stayed away."

"Pff," I let out a stiffled laugh. "You didn't make a move because you respect Tiffany? Is that what you told yourself to feel better? Tch, you're just too pathetic to face the truth."

"Shut your mouth," Mandy growls.

"You and I both know that even if you tried your very best, Quincey still wouldn't waste a glance on you. Even the school janitor he greets every day means more to him than you do."

"Shut it!"

A few laughs are heard as it's obvious that what I'm saying is true. 

"The only reason you're staying put is because you know you don't have the slightest chance," I continue, ignoring the crowd forming around us. "If he had shown any interest in you, you would have pounced on him immediately. But poor you, he doesn't even know your name," I pause and take in the pleasure of seeing Mandy lose composure. "How sad," I continue, "Quincey doesn't even know your name... So why do you still gawk at him? Don't you have any shred of self esteem?"

"How dare you-"

"Let this be the last time you disturb me about this, and I better not see you roaming around Quincey."

"Y- You're so full of yourself," Mandy hisses. "Who do you think you are?"

"I'm his girlfriend."

"Ha! You wish."

"I am Quincey's girlfriend," I hold her gaze. "Me. Not you, and it's certainly not Tiffany. I'm the one Quincey is dating. Let that register into your bird-sized brain once and for all. Quincey is my boyfriend so," I close the gap between us then flick her forehead, "back off."

Without waiting for Mandy to respond I walk past her but I'm pulled back. She pulls on my top so violently, the sleeve tears. Before I can analyse the damage Mandy just made to the top Tiffany bought for me, I am soaked in cold water from the top down. After a loud gasp, the whole canteen becomes silent as I try to wrap my mind around what just happened. 

I'm so stunned it takes me some time to turn around and see Mandy holding an empty jug in her hand.

"Hey!" I hear Lady's voice.

"Are you crazy?" Cindy joins in as they both rush to me.

"Y-you... Psy.... Psycho," my voice shakes both from anger and from the cold I'm starting to feel.   

"Are you OK?" Lady turns me to her as Cindy dries me off with some tissues.

"You're Quincey's girlfriend?" Mandy ignores them and throws the jug on the floor. "In what world? Why would it be you? You of all people? It can't be. Never. You're so superficial and vain he deserves much better!"

"Mandy calm down," one of her friends approaches her.

"When did this happen?" Mandy shakes her off.