Make Me Smile

The unfortunate misunderstanding with Tiffany, as well as Kathy's painful situation, made me realize that there is never one side to a story. In fact, there are sometimes many versions to one story. But this, this is too much.

"What do you mean you're the one who cheated?" I ask dumbfounded. 

"I broke our wedding vows," mum says trying to compose herself.

"Huh?"

"I cheated on your father," she looks straight into my eyes.  

"You're not making any sense," I shake my head refusing to believe what she's saying. "You couldn't have-"

"I did. I had intercourse with another man."

"I don't get it."

"Oh my goodness. What don't you understand? I slept with another man! In this house! Me! I did it! I'm the one who... I... I cheated! I cheated! I cheated!"

"No way," I mumble. "It... It can't be. It's not true. You're lying."

Before she can reply, we hear the front door open and a few seconds later Dad joins us in the kitchen. 

"Hey!" He greets us with a smile. "What's going on?"

"What are you doing here?" Mum asks. "Weren't you supposed to perform a surgery this evening?"

"Yes, but it has been postponed, the patient isn't ready yet," he frowns as he notices the expression on my face. "Is there something wrong?"

"Everything is fine," mum answers for me. "Welcome home. Go and settle down, I'll prepare dinner."

****

"No need to say dinner was very awkward."

"Bet it was," Quincey says. 

After eating, I asked dad for a favor, mumbled a quick greeting then quickly did my chores before rushing to my room to call my boyfriend and confide in him. 

"It's just that what she said makes no sense," I continue as I lay in bed looking at the white ceiling above me. "All this time I thought dad was the one who wrecked the mood of this family, turns out it was mum. I hated him so much for what I thought he did. He always tried to reach out and talk to me, but I pushed him away every time. Turns out it was... But how could she do such a thing?! What was she thinking?!"

"Hey, hey, babe. Calm down. From what you told me, you don't know the details. There's probably more to the story than the little she told you."

"Yeah but... Dad loved her so much. That's why I was really surprised when I thought he cheated. She meant the world to him. How could she..."

"Your mum loved him too," Quincey reminds me. "It's a shame. They used to be a wonderful couple. Something must have gone wrong along the way."

"Probably, " I say as I roll on my bed to lay on my stomach. "Babe."

"Yeah?"

"What would you do if I cheated on you?"

"Huh?" He pauses for a moment. "I don't like that question."

"Come on, it's just hypothetical. What would you do? Would you leave? Cut me off?"

"Hmm..."

"Ah, maybe you need some time to think about it?"

"No, that's not it," he says. "You asking me the question just makes me wonder if I wasn't clear enough with you earlier."

"About what?"