Stay With Me

After separating with the others, Quincey and I get on the bus, it's a bit crowded, which is not to my liking, especially since I'm not really able to hold on to anything. Without warning, the bus driver makes a sudden turn that is anything but smooth.

"Oops, sorry," I apologize for falling on Quincey.

He grips the bus-strap above him, standing as steady as a rock, then slides his arm around my waist.

"Hold on to me," he says.

"Uh? Um... OK."

My heart is beating as fast as it did a month ago, when he hugged me like he would never let me go. I lay my head on his shoulder feeling a bit sad that this moment is going to end as we get closer to my stop.

"Shannon."

"Yes?"

I feel Quincey's chin gently rest on top of my head.

"I'm going to the gym."

"Yeah?"

"Come with me."

No reply is needed, not a word, not even a nod, he knows I'll follow him.

As people get off the bus, I catch a glimpse of our reflection in the window. It's just for a few seconds but, I like what I see. If it could be like this every day, I'd be the happiest girl on earth.

At the gym the guys seemed to have been waiting for Quincey to arrive, because Anthony has some good news.

"What's going on?" Quincey asks once the greetings are over.

"Well," Anthony starts. "I finally got my car."

"He's been so excited about it," Jared adds.

"That's great," Quincey congratulates him. "You've been saving for a while now, take time to enjoy it.

"I will," Anthony jiggles his keys. "It's not brand new, but it's pretty good. You can drive it around if you want."

"Really?"

"Of course. I'll be happy if it's able to help you out from time to time."

"Aww," I stare at Anthony. "You're so cute."

I didn't think my comment was inappropriate until I notice how the guys look at me.

"Too much?" I turn to Quincey.

"A little," he replies. "You can't just randomly call a guy cute."

"Why?"

"I-i-it's OK," Anthony turns bright red. "So um... you guys have been hanging out today?"

"Yeah," Quincey answers putting an arm around my shoulder. "She's like a lost kitten. I have to look after her now that Tiffany isn't around."

I'm left dumbfounded by his statement. Quincey seems a bit surprised that I don't throw a jab at him. The thing is I'm not sure if it is a joke or if there's some truth there. What if all this time I was thinking we were growing closer, when all along he was just watching over me until Tiffany comes back?

Is that what it is? I wonder as a I watch Quincey have a quick session with Jared. Wait. Did Tiffany say something to him? Did she send him a message saying something stupid like 'Take care of Shasha for me'? Am I some kind of burden to him?

"He's going to notice if you keep staring at him so much," Anthony, who just finished his session, sits next to me on the bench.

"What are you talking about?" I act like I don't understand.