Running Away

For the next two weeks, I avoided Quincey like the plague.

I didn't go near him, didn't look at him, didn't speak to him. Acting like he no longer existed helped me not to feel bad about what happened. I was sure that he couldn't stand me, which, anytime I thought about the disgust I believed he had for me, made my throat squeeze. But I decided he didn't exist anymore, so I convinced myself it didn't bother me. I preferred erasing him from my world, to never talk to him again, than to look him in the eye and take in another insult that would have been well deserved.

"Don't get me wrong, all I'm saying is she should have...," I faintly started hearing Tiffany's voice again as we walked home together, but she trailed off. "Shasha what's wrong? You seem so out of it."

"No no, I'm listening."

Just as we came out of school earlier, I saw Quincey and avoided him again hiding behind Tiffany. It was ridiculous because I know he saw me, so what was the use of hiding? Reflex. I had been hiding from him for two weeks.

"What were you thinking about?" Tiffany insisted.

"Nothing."

"Shasha."

"Fine... you got me," I sighed. "I was just thinking about how pretty you are."

She laughed, then hooked her arm around mine as we continued our journey. We live right next to each other, her house is just beside mine. It had not always been this way, Tiffany moved in a little over four years ago. Two years after her father disappeared, Tiffany made the decision to let go of their house, because she noticed that her mother wasn't getting better. Living in that house did nothing but hurt Mrs May. I actually call her by her name, Louise, she's french, which is why Tiffany speaks the language fluently. Yeah, lucky her. But I understand a tiny bit too. Anyway, Tiffany being considerate of her mother, tried to find a solution.

***********

"You want to move ma chérie (my dear)?" Louise was surprised when we came to her with our idea.

"Yes mum," she answered. "I know you don't like living here anymore."

We were in the kitchen, Tiffany and I were sitting on the stools, as Louise was standing opposite of us, on the other side of the table.

"But you love it here. You have so many memories in this house," Louise turned to me and looked at me with suspicion. She's a psychologist for children and teenagers, I used to believe that because of that she was able to read our minds, but thankfully that's not the case. "Shannon, are you the one putting these ideas in her head?"

"No M'am."

"You're lying."

"Not really M'am."

"When you call me "M'am" it means you're hiding something."

"Mum," Tiffany intervened in my defense, "we just had the same idea that's all."

"What idea?"

"The house next to Shannon's will be on sale in a couple of months so-"

"Wait. How do you know this?"

"Shannon is close to one of the sons there," Tiffany elbowed me and I gave her a threatening look but she just grinned.

Close is a big word. We were acquaintances.

"He told her they'd be moving soon," she continued to explain.