Chemistry

The next day, I forced myself to have a spring in my step. After thinking it through, I realized I was in a good place, nothing was weighing on me anymore, so I could fully enjoy my time with Orson. I met him every morning on the bench under the tree, and we'd talk for about ten minutes before the bell rang.

"You seem to be in a great mood," Orson said as I fidgeted with excitement on the bench.

"What makes you say that?"

"Well your reaction right now to learning that I play the guitar is more like I told you I'm a billionaire."

I laughed out loud till I was gasping for air.

"You're so funny!"

"Really?" he furrowed his brows a bit surprised that I laughed so much. "In any case, I'm glad you seem brighter. You looked kind of down lately. I thought I was boring you."

"Oh no. Never," I assured him. "I just had a little something on my mind. I was a bit worried about a situation, but it's all gone now."

"Good. You look better when you smile."

"Thank you," I grinned. "So do you just play, or do you sing as you play?"

He lifted his hand showing a peace sign.

"Oooh," I rubbed my hands together, "So you sing too? You know you're going to have to sing something for me now."

"Now?"

"Uh-huh."

"OK," he chuckled. "Well then what do you want to hear?"

"Anything that comes to mind."

He thought about it, but not for long.

"I got it," he jolted a bit. "My dad has been listening to this song for a few days now. It's a bit old, from the 70's, I don't know if you know it," he cleared his throat a little before he sang. "Well we all have a face that we hide away forever-"

"And we take them out and show ourselves, when everyone has gone," I cut in snapping my fingers much to his surprise.

"Some are satin some are steel," he continued with a grin.

"Some are silk and some are leather," I responded.

"They're the faces of the stranger but we love to try them on," we finished in unison, his smooth authentic voice, and my sharp high-pitched voice merged beautifully.

"Wow," he gave me a high five. "Nice! You have an amazing voice."

"You weren't too bad yourself," I chortled. "We should do more duets."

"Definitely."

"So that's the voice you use to serenade girls?" I smirked.

"Um..." he was taken off guard.

"I bet it works like a charm."

He chuckled rubbing the back of his neck a bit embarrassed. The bell rang, cutting our moment short. Orson was turning out to be exactly as I imagined him since the very first day I saw him: perfect in every way. He's literally the sweetest guy you'll ever meet. Polite and gentlemanly, he had everything going for him, and very soon he was going to have my heart.

The song we sang, "The Stranger", by Billy Joel, is quite unique. It points to the fact that when we think we know somebody, we actually hardly know that person at all, because there's a stranger in them that they only let out when they're alone.

It also relates to the fact that we often don't really know ourselves as we all have a stranger in us. If we are not careful, the stranger takes over and acts in a way we normally wouldn't have. Which is why sometimes we say things like: