Torn

After packing Tiffany's hair up in a pony-tail, I wrapped my arms around her, and slowly rocked her, I sang the last part of the song for her again: "When you bloom Edelweiss, we will still be together."

I laid a kiss on her cheek, and she turned around to hug me.

"I'm sorry I forgot," I apologized rubbing her back.

"It's OK," she reassured me. "You had a lot on your plate."

"But nothing and no one is more important than you."

She pulled away, and looked at me.

"I know," she stated with a smile. "You're also my number one."

Her eyes were teary, but I already knew she was not going to cry. She probably had a hard time during summer when that period came by.

"Titi," I lightly stroked her cheek, "you know, there is nothing wrong with hope."

Her smile grew wider, she thanked me and gave me another hug. Anytime the topic of her dad comes up, I always encourage her to never lose hope, though we hadn't talked about it at all in a while. Come to think of it we hadn't talked about him for a long time, a year, maybe two. 

We went to bed after a little chat. She talked about her dad, and I listened. We laughed about a few memories we had, especially the times he embarrassed us in public with his clumsiness. Then we fell asleep relaxed and serene.

............

I'm hearing my heart beat. It's really loud. Why is it so loud? Why is it beating so fast? 

Then I hear a whisper, a soft voice. A low, sweet, beautiful voice.

"It's different when it's you Shannon."

I twitched as I felt a breath tickle my ear, and Quincey's voice echo in my mind. 

My eyes popped open in the dim-light of the room, and I tried to control my breathing. How could he say something like that? What did he mean by it? Why did I feel like something had changed after summer holidays?

Whatever, I sighed.

None of that mattered, I refused to dwell on it. So I chased those questions out of my head. I felt Tiffany's arm laying on the side of my belly, as I had my back to her. I placed my hand on top of hers, and keeping it in mine, I turned on the bed to face her. My two hands cuddled her hand, I held on to it, like it was a precious treasure. I smiled looking at her sleeping face.

"So cute," I whispered.

I closed my eyes ready to fall into a dreamless slumber.

"Shasha?" I heard Tiffany call me with a small voice.

"Yeah," I answered with my eyes closed.

"Are you sleeping?"

"Since I am able to answer you, I'd say no."

She chuckled a bit.

"Can I ask you a question?" her other hand clasped the top of my hands.

"Go ahead."

"I mean, a serious question."

"I'm listening," I opened my eyes to see her staring at me.

"Hmm...," she hesitated. "Do you really think we can remain friends forever?"

The question was like a sharp arrow struck directly into my heart. I sat up immediately and turned on the little lamp.

What is she saying? I thought, my fears starting to creep up in my mind. Has she already gotten tired of me? No right? Tiffany wouldn't, would she? She'll never leave me... right?