Thinking Too Much

When Rin woke up he frowned. The girl he wanted to see was not there. Instead it was Kiko who sat with his parents while they drank tea and ate snacks.

"What a good friend you are to help take care of Rin when he's sick." Riho said as she smiled at Kiko. "With friends like you by his side, I don't have to worry so much."

"It was nothing." Kiko said as she blushed. Her head fell forward as she hid her face from them as if she was shy to receive compliments. "It's what a friend should do."

"You really are a good girl." Riho said. "Here eat some more. Rin will not wake up any time soon and you must be tired. Go back and rest for a while. If he wakes up, we'll send word to you about it."

Kiko took the snack that was offered and bit into it. She smiled and thanked Riho before she took a sip of her tea and bid them goodbye. When she left, Obara finally spoke. And when he did, Riho was not happy.

"Shane, have someone investigate her background thoroughly." Obara ordered. "I want nine generations worth of information as soon as possible."

"Husband! What are you doing?!? She's just a little girl!" Riho protested.

"I'm protecting our son. Anyone he's friends with needs to be investigated, especially those that we don't know who their parents are." Obara told Riho. "It's for his safety and ours."

"Rin won't like this. He will be mad if he found out." Riho told him, giving into her husband because she knew he was right.

"Do it." Rin said.

Obara and Riho quickly made their way towards Rin.

"My boy! My son!" Riho cried out. "How are you feeling?"

Rin looked at his father and grabbed his hand.

"Do it. Investigate her and her two friends."

"I will." Obara promised him. "You just concentrate on getting better. I'll take care of everything."

"Good." Rin said as Riho covered his face with kisses. "Mom! I'm speaking with Dad right now!"

"Mom just really misses you and was worried about you!" Riho said as she pulled back and held his other hand. "How did you get so sick?"

"Mom.... Dad..." Rin said softly. "I think there's something wrong..."

Rin proceeds to tell them about what happened to him and what he saw in his dreams.

"So you're saying that when you see Akari, she is the only one who can make you think clearly?" Obara asked.

"Yes." Rin answered. "However that rotten girl is so slippery and headstrong."

Riho and Obara smiled. Their little Rin calling his childhood friend a rotten girl was too cute. While Akari calling him crybaby made them feel warm to their toes.

"We'll speak to Akari." Riho told him.

"Don't tell her what I told you!" Rin warned. "Just tell her to spend more time with me. And to not disappear so much! I can never find her, that rotten girl!"

"Okay. We'll do as you say." Riho comforted him. "We'll even tell her parents so they can tell her as well. Then this way, she'll never leave your side."

"Knowing her, she'll do whatever she likes. But she'll be by my side again." Rin sighed. His heart felt clam just thinking about Akari by his side.

"Here, let Mom feed you while I go talk to Akari." Obara told them.

Riho and Rin agreed quickly and Obara left Rin's room. Outside of Rin's room, he was suddenly surrounded by Rin's friends.

“Duke Noboru!  Can I have a word with you?”  Donovan asked as he opened his door.  His eyes met the two boys he considered friends, however with what he just experience with them not backing him up, he lost faith and trust in them as his friends.  

“What is it that you have to say?”  Obara asked as he stopped.

“Please. It’s a private matter.  It’s about Rin. Please come inside.”

Obara went inside of the room and after 15 minutes he exited.  When he left, Delan and Wuying looked at each other before they closed their doors.  They knew because they didn’t attack Akari when she tossed Donovan down like a bag of rice and with Akari’s words provoking them. Their friendship would never be the same.  There was even a chance that they would stop being friends. But once distrust comes into a friendship, it would never be the same ever again.

Obara made his way to Akari’s room first, however she wasn’t there.  Lena directed him to the library, where he found her reading her book in her hidden nook.  

“Can I have a few words?” Obara asked Akari.

Akari closed her book and left her hidden nook and followed him to a nearby cafe, off of the academy’s property.  

Akari ordered juice while Obara ordered tea.  None of them spoke until their drinks came and even then they waited for the other one to speak out first.  Obara lost the battle after another 15 minutes. He knew Akari would not speak at all if she didn’t have to.  He would have to be the one who spoke first. It made him feel as if he lost their mind game and it hurt his pride a little.  

“I’ve known you since you were born. And I’ve known your parents since we were kids.”  Obara began to say. “For so many years we watched out for each other. Always protecting one another and taking care of each other.”  

Akari drank her juice as if she wasn’t listening, however Obara knew that this is how Akari acts.  Although it seems she’s not listening, she is.

“For all these years you took care of Rin.  I would like to thank you for your genuine friendship with him…. I would also like to ask you to keep on being his friend.  Keep on watching over him. Keep on protecting him.” Obara asked her. “You are someone very precious to me, Lady Noboru and to Rin.  I ask it of you to stay by his side more often.”

Obara sighed and drank his tea before he kept on talking, knowing that Akari would not speak unless she wants to say something.

“Rin, he has many friends.  He makes friends easily. However I’m worried that he doesn’t have an eye for disconcerment.  He easily believes those around him and sees the good in people only. And I worry that he will get schemed upon, lied to and fall into a trap.  With you by his side, he’ll do what you say. So please, as a concern Father, can you do as I ask?”

Akari’s eyebrows scrunched together.  Is this fate playing a hand in her life again? Just when Kiko and Rin are going out and Akari confirmed the fake rumors of bullying Kiko to Rin.  Shouldn’t Rin and Kiko be closer than ever? Shouldn’t they trust in each other? Then why is Duke Obara asking her to be by Rin’s side? Did her plan not work?  

“Akari?”  Obara said softly.  “As a favor to me, can you stay by his side and help him?”

Akari had to find out what happened between them so she nodded her head yes.

“Good girl.”  Obara said as he smiled at her.  “You were always the best girl to be with my Rin.”

Akari tucked her head down so he wouldn’t see her face.  What did Duke Obara mean by that? Was he trying to tell her something?  Was she thinking too much?