Regret

"Why?" Rin asked Akari.

"You should be asking yourself that question, crybaby." Akari told him.

Rin and Akari stopped talking for a moment, the falling rain covered their silence. The rain fell harder and harder on to them.

"I have dreams. I've been dreaming a lot in the past five months. " Rin told Akari. "Dreams of you, me and Kiko."

Akari's heart began to beat wildly. What what Rin saying? What does he mean?

"In those dreams, you... you loved me. Loved me more than I could ever know. Loved me to the point of loving me in the next lifetime. Loving me more than I deserved. Over and over, you loved me, but I couldn't see that love. I resented you. I... Kiko... and I... we... together we... treated you unfairly." Rin confessed. "We caused your death. Over and over again, we were the reason why you died. That's why... every time I woke up, I promised myself that I would treat you well. That I would not cause your death."

Had it not been for the downpour, Rin would see that Akari was crying. Tears fell down her face, her heart ached so much. He remembered. Rin remembered. She wasn't alone in remember their past lives. She didn't feel so alone.

"I don't know if my dreams are true. However I just wanted to let you know. I'm sorry." Rin told her. "I'm glad that you're my friend, Akari. I'm glad that we've become friends."

Rin stared at Akari's face however the rain was getting in the way of his sight. He couldn't tell what Akari was thinking or feeling.

"So tell me, Akari. Why is it that I always go back to Kiko?" Rin asked. "Are my dreams real? Did it happen in our past lives?"

Akari couldn't help herself, she stood up on the branch. Her tears kept falling as it mixed with the rain. The rain pour down harder and harder.

"You already know that answer. You just have to find the answers within yourself." Akari told him.

"I knew you wouldn't tell me anything, you rotten girl!" Rin shouted as he became mad. Why didn't she just tell him. Why was it so hard for her to just answer a single question?

"Rin." Akari called out Rin's name, bringing his attention back to Akari. "You... take care of yourself."

"What are you saying?" Rin shouted louder.

The rain, rained harder as if it was a monsoon It was raining so hard, the rain bounced back up.

"I just want you to be happy." Akari told him. "I'm glad... that this lifetime, we've become friends too."

Her heart became shreds with her words. 99 lifetimes. 99 trials to teach her a lesson that to love someone, was to let them go.

"What!" Rin shouted.

Rin watched as Akari told him to go back inside with her hands. Her hands kept shooing him away. Rin began to run back to the academy, but half way he stopped. He looked behind him and saw that Akari was already gone.

"Rotten girl." Rin whispered as he ran towards the academy again. "Always disappearing from me."

"Rin!" Kiko shouted as Rin reached her. "What did you have to say to Akari that it couldn't wait?"

Rin shook the water off of him and grab hold of her hand.

"Lets go back to the dormitory. We need to take a hot bath and change our clothes or we'll get sick."