Dinner

The next evening Akari, Dean and her parents entered the Noboru Estate for dinner.  The four of them were greeted warmly by Riho and Obara and immediately ushered into the receiving room for tea.  While the men were gathered together at the window playing cards and speaking in hushed tones. The women sat in front of the fireplace sipping tea and conversing.

“Tell me Akari, how is being married treating you?”  Riho asked as she smiled at Akari.

Akari placed her tea cup down and smiled slightly and answered her back.  

“Well.  Thank you.”

Akari’s short answer caused Riho to smile even more.  Truthfully, Riho didn’t expect for Akari to answer her back at all.  With three simple words, it showed Riho how much Akari has changed after she got married.

“That’s wonderful!”  Riho said as she clasped Akari’s hand.  

Akari nodded her head and slowly pulled her hand away from Riho’s hand. Riho’s gaze turned towards Emi and they began to chat as if they have not seen each other for 40 years.  

Akari pulled her thoughts away from the room and to the reason why she was there.  She had been thinking the whole day as to why the King would want to hurt the Noboru family.

They were descendents of a royal family, however their line of succession had long past.  It had been several generations since the Noboru family ruled as royalty. If the Noboru family had to be ranked against the royal family, they would rank just a step below the royal family.  The Noboru family were also the richest noble family in all the land. With their trading company throughout the country as well as other countries.

If anything, the King should also have an eye on her family’s business.  With the Ayame family owning 10 mining caves and several jewelry stores. Her family were financially equal to the Noboru family, maybe even more.  However the only difference is that her Father, although a Duke, does not involve himself in politics or royal parties. He keeps to himself and a handful of close friends.  While Obara, continues to attend court with the King while running Noboru Enterprise.

Why would the King feel threatened by Obara?  The King and Obara grew up together. They were tutored together, had the same fighting master, their families grew up each other throughout every generation.  What happened between the King and Obara that made the King target the Noboru family?

“Akari.  Akari.”

Akari snapped back from her thoughts and looked at her mother who was calling her name.  Emi’s head tilted to the side and she had a worried look to her face.

“Yes?”  

“It’s time for dinner.”  Emi told Akari.

Akari nodded and followed Emi into the dining room.  The table was filled with 10 different dishes and everyone had made their way to their seat.  The only one missing was Rin.

“Where’s Rin?”  Akari asked as she sat down.  

“He sent word that something came up at work and he had to stay behind to handle the matter.  He told us to enjoy our dinner without him.” Obara told her.

Akari’s eyes caught Dean’s eyes and she scrunched her eyebrows together.  Did Rin really have to deal with a problem at work? Was the problem caused by the King?  

Dean gave her a reassuring smile and took her hand under the table to comfort her.  Whatever may happen in the future, he wanted to let her know that he was there for her.  

Feeling comforted, Akari began eating and enjoying the company around her.

~~~

After dinner they were back in the receiving room and there were still no word from Rin.  

“Something big must have happened at our company.”  Obara said as he began to worry. He sent one of the servants to go check on Rin as everyone’s mood became solemn.

Akari felt as if something wasn’t right and walked up to Obara.  

“Show me what Rin wanted to show me tonight.”  Akari said softly.

Obara looked at Akari for a moment before giving in and bring her and Dean inside of his study.  Obara unlocked his desk and opened the shelf. He took out a handful of files and paper out before opening the hidden compartment and pulling out a large book.  

“Everything he wanted to show you guys are inside this book.”  Obara told them. “Once you’re done looking at them, place the book back where it belongs.  Here’s the key to lock my desk.”

Obara gave Dean the key and left the room.  When he left, Dean locked the door after Obara and made his way next to Akari.  Once he sat down next to her, Akari opened the book that was in her lap.

The book was hollowed out in the center and inside were several letters and a small notebook.  Akari noticed Rin’s handwriting on the notebook. She opened it up and took a look inside while Dean read the letters.  

Inside of the the notebook was a detailed account of Kiko’s background.  Rin was able to find a copy of Kiko’s adoption certificate however the orphanage that she came from did not exist. Rin was able to figure out that the Lehar family was in the merchant business.  However after losing several high risk and high payout opportunities, they were close to bankruptcy. Suddenly with the addition of a child, their merchant business started thriving and soon, they became middle class merchants.  

Their success did not bring any attention to their family nor any envy.  They just did enough to be considered great, but not successful. Every job the Lehar family took, there were no opposition that would fight with them for a contract.  Nor were there any loses to the merchandise that the Lehar family transported. They never ran into any trouble during the transportation. With the success rate of the Lehar family, they could be a first rate merchant, however they only worked when they needed to keep their cover.

Rin also had a detail account of all the spies that he suspected inside of Noboru Enterprises and inside of his home.  He gave out several accounts of his suspicion and the evidence that he had on them.

Inside of the notebook, Rin also detailed several contracts that Noboru Enterprise took that failed.  Those failed contracts were directly linked to the suspected spies.

After an hour Akari was convinced of Rin’s theory that the King wanted to destroy the Noboru family and seize their wealth, their land, and their company.  

“The question is why.”  Akari said as she leaned back into the couch.  “Why does the King want to do this? He has land, wealth, power and authority. Why does he need to destroy the Noboru family and obtain their belongings?  And why the Noboru family? Why not any other rich, noble family?”

“I don’t know.”  Dean said as he leaned in to kiss Akari’s temple.  “But whatever you decide. I’ll be there with you.”  

Akari quickly kissed Dean’s cheek before placing everything back inside of the book before placing the book inside of the secret compartment.  Once she finished placing the files and loose paper on top of the closed compartment, she locked the desk.

Dean waited in the middle of the room for Akari as she made her way towards him. Her hands automatically reached out to embrace him around the waist as she hugged him tightly.  

“What would you say if I told you that I was thinking of breaking into the castle tonight?” Akari whispered into Dean’s ear.  

Akari could feel Dean smile next to her ear as he slightly chuckled.  

“Then I would ask you… when are we going?” Dean whispered back as he nibbled on her earlobe. Akari tilted her head to the side so she could give Dean better access to her ear.  A low moan came out of her mouth as she became lost in his embrace.

“How about after a round…”  Akari barely whispered as she felt her body heat up with lust.  “Or two… after...dual cultivation?”