Chapter 33

Rich POV

I listened to the professor speak and jotted down a couple of things that stuck out to me the most.  I had figured out the lady's theory the first week of college, she'll speak on something one day and the next it will be either a paper or an exam. This was my hardest class and I always found myself staring at the clock whenever I was in here. Whenever she spoke, she spoke quickly and didn't like to repeat herself. The way she portrayed herself in class, it was easy to tell she was a demanding and assertive woman. I had never went below a B average in this class but it was always my lowest grade out of all my classes. Turning the page in my spiral, I continued to write down the things she said as Brent was in the chair next to me with his face straight smushed into the book.
Brent had been asleep the whole time or either spaced out. Surprisingly, the professor never put him out when he fell asleep which always confuses me. Anyone who fell asleep in her class was always kicked out but when it came to him, she always glanced over him and kept teaching.
Once she felt like she was done, she dismissed us and everyone packed up and was headed for the door.
I elbowed Brent to wake him up before putting my spiral in my bag and preparing to leave. As I was headed for the door, I heard his voice behind me.

Brent: Rich wait up, let me talk to you about something.

He said as he struggled to put his books back into his bag. As he passed the professor's desk, he smiled at her and walked to the door where I was now at. He tiredly slung his backpack on his shoulder and walked beside me, leaving out of the classroom.

Brent: Since when did you decide to skip our 8 am class earlier today, I had nobody to cheat on man.

He spoke smacking his lips and turning the corner after me.

Me: I had a long night last night, I needed the extra sleep.

I was out until 4 in the morning last night with Jay, it wasn't the smartest idea but what could I say. I wasn't going to tell Brent where I was or what I was doing because I knew he wouldn't believe me.

Brent: Well I hope that was a one time thing because you know how coach is, plus the team is finally back in good graces. We can't loose any key players.

Me: I just got caught up in something last night, you know it's not like me to skip out on class.

Brent: Good, because I got some news that'll make your day.

I looked over at Brent who was smiling from ear to ear, strolling beside me. We both walked to the lounge area where other students were spread out either sitting at the tables or on the couches. Brent headed for the table near the window so I followed after him, eager to hear his news because after last night I needed something to cheer me up. I sat my bag on the empty chair and made myself comfortable as I listened to Brent say what he had to say.

Brent: So the other day when morning practice was over, I headed to the locker room to shower and leave. Now, you know I'm always the last one to leave the locker room. So when I got in there, I heard coach talking on the phone. I guess he didn't know I was in there.

Me: Well what was he saying?

Brent's smile appeared on his face again.

Brent: From what I heard, he's picking his top 3 players to play in some tournament out of state. Do you know how many scouts could possibly be there?

Me: Only three people?

I asked with a monotonous voice. The news was exciting but I didn't know if I was good enough to be on coach's top 3.

Brent: Only three, and we definitely have what it takes. We been dreaming about this exposure since we got here man. At the rate we're going, you know we have coach's best interest.