Chapter 32

Jamie POV

After a day full of lecture classes, I let my stress and tension release as my body soaked in  warm water. Nearing the end of the semester, it was always more work that I was needing to finish. I wouldn't let myself get stressed out anymore, ecspecially since I was taking care of one extra person now. The late night papers, the rare extra credit, and group projects had occupied most of my time leaving no room for anything else. I wanted time by myself, to relax, to think. So many changes were going on I hadn't had time to realize that I was pregnant and my life would be changing. It was way sooner than expected, but I was happy either way. Some things I have to sacrifice and I was okay with that. I let the bubbles cover my entire body, not caring if it touched the curls that came out of my ponytail. Lately, I had no huge symptoms yet and that was expected since I wasn't that far along. The only thing that had been happening was me getting lazy so quick and having short breaths.
Ryan's faint footsteps came closer and closer to the doorway of the bathroom. He appeared with two drinks in his hand as he eased over to where I was, taking a wooden stool that was usually for the closet to sit on. He scooted closer to me and handed the drink towards me.

Ryan: Wine for me and apple juice for you, cheers.

I took it gladly noticing I had been thirsty. After drinking, I handed the drink back for him to set aside. He stared at the ground for a moment as if he was in deep thought before looking back at me. The expression on his face has been the same all day ever since I told him the news.

Me: Ryan, I'm fine. It's just shortness of breath. It could be worse.

Ryan: That's still not a good thing, maybe you should try doing classes here at the house instead of going back to campus. I mean, it's close but wouldn't you be more comfortable here?

Me: I'm comfortable with what I'm doing now. When I get further along then I'll consider it. Now when is the last time you've got some sleep?

I asked, overviewing his face. It was clear he wasn't getting enough rest. There had been nights where I would wake up to find Ryan in his work room. I always ended up forcing him to come to bed.

Ryan: I just have a lot going on at the hospital, nothing new.

He shrugged like it was nothing. I hated when he tried to act like things weren't getting to him. His words would say one thing but the look on his face told it all. That was a bad habit of his. I knew he had been overworking himself which he did often. Ryan had transferred to the hospital where he could complete his training and take classes in the same location. The driving part was better for him since he didn't waste so much gas but it was a heavier work load.

Me: Get in with me.

I suggested as I sat up a little so he could be right next to me. Hopefully him relaxing in the water could take his mind off of everything like it had done for me. The bathtub was honestly big enough that I didn't have to move but I wanted to be right under him. Watching him stand up, he first started with his shirt as he slowly took it off, tossing it carefully to the side. The lighting was dim but I could still see every muscle on his deep brown skin. Next, he started to unloosen the tie he had on his drawstring sweats. Soon enough, he slid into the tub next to me. His body heat definitely warming up the presence between us. His arms wrapped over me as I gently rested my head on his chest, listening to his fast heartbeat.

Ryan: I see why you're always in here.

He laughed as he rested his eyes.

Ryan: You know Jamie I'm glad things really worked out with your mom. It's crazy how you two act the exact same.

He said lowly as he stroked my shoulder. I decided not to say anything back because I didn't want to think about the situation with my mom. I was happy my mother and I were on speaking terms again and to see her sober made me honestly happy. The visit was great until my mother had pulled me aside to talk. That conversation had been on my mind since we left her house. I didn't want to tell Ryan about it, so I kept it to myself. Ryan leaned his head over to look at me once he realized I didn't respond.