Chapter 12: Concert in The Park

"He got you Chick-Fil-A?" Beth said.

I roll my eyes, "After everything that I told you about it, all you got out of it was Chick-Fil-A?" She nods, laughing. "I'm joking, I heard everything. And I think he is sweet." We were just sitting at the table in the kitchen eating a bag of chips.

"You just think he is hot." I say as I go to fridge to get flavored water. She points her chip at me. "That too, but he is sweet. You can't say he isn't." I sit back down and grab another chip.

"I will admit that he can be sweet at the random times but he is just-Dinging Noises start to play, interrupting me. "Is that your phone?" I ask her. She nods and starts to look around. "Yeah, but where is it?" She gets up and goes into the living room. "I got it!" She yells.

"Hello?" She answers. "Yes, Mama? I'm over Nia's house." She pauses. "Ahora mismo? Muy bien, supongo...Si, tenemos la carne...Necesita mas queso? Si que puedo conseguirlo.... Puede Nia venir? Bien Gracias Adios...Amor Tu tambien." Beth comes back and grabs her bag.

"You want to go the store?" She asked. I thought about it, "What store?" She shrugs, "I don't know, Target?" I go to grab my bag and I lock the door behind us. "Let me just text my mom and tell her were going to Target." I text her and turn my phone off. "Alright. Off to Target we go!"

"Did you get everything your mom said?" I asked her as we putting the stuff into the trunk of her car. "Yeah I'm pretty sure. I got cheese and some chips. And some juice for me." We get back in the car and go to her house. Beth's house is fun to be at. Her mom and Dad are always nice to me and they are like second parents. Her little brother Jesús is a pain but he can be enjoyable sometimes.

We pull up and her mom greets us at outside.

"Nia Hola!" She says in her accent. Her arms are wide open waiting for me to engulf her in a hug. "Hola!" I hug her, she squeezes my body."Ma where is Dad?"

"Oh he's in the back." I help Beth grab the groceries and bring them in. Beth's dad comes in from the back yard. "Ah Nia Hi." Beth's Dad says as he comes by and gives me a hug. "Hi Mr. Delgadillo." I hug him. Jesús follows him in. "Hey Jesús." I wave, he stops and smiles. "Oh Hey Nia." Jesús says.

"What's for dinner?" He comes in the kitchen with everyone else. "Nachos, now help your mama makes them." Tia forces him to stay in the kitchen. Beth and I try to sneak out but Tia catches us. "Nuh-Uh! Don't try to run niñas, help Jesús with the cheese," She directs us. "Miles! Come in here and cut the tomatoes." Mr. Delgadillo didn't make it out far enough either. Tia had everyone in the kitchen helping make dinner, and I actually enjoyed it.

"How have you been Nia?" Mr. Delgadillo asked me. We all sat the table and enjoying the food that we just cooked all together. "I've been good." I reply. "How's school?" Tia asked Beth and me both. "Good." Beth answers.

"Anything interesting happen today?" She asked. I shake my head.

Awkward silence. I thought.

"Jesús?" Everyone looks to him and he stops in mid-chew. "Mmh?" Mr. Delgadillo laughs while Tia shakes her head. "Anything interesting happen at school for you Hijo?" Tia asked. He swallows his food. "Santiago and Dennis got into a fight."

"Oh why? I thought Santiago and Dennis were friends?" Tia said. Jesús shakes his head. "They were, until Santiago found out that Jasmine was dating both of them."

"Aye that's bad. I'm sorry for your friends."

"I'm not. I told them she was scheming on the low." He replied. Beth and I both started laughing. "Where did you hear that from?" Beth asked him.