Chapter 5: Verterinarian

Here is Chapter 5 like promised, (; Enjoy!

Chapter 5: Veterinarian

   It was a while after Beth and April left. Around five or six, I found time to take a bath and read one of my favorite books. I was getting out with a towel wrapped around my body and the book in my hand. I put on some undergarments, a huge t-shirt and some shorts. I lay down in the bed, relaxing with the book and began back to read.

I was just getting to the good part when my father comes in and sits on my bed. "Whatcha reading?" He asked. I show him the book cover and he looks at it weird. "Well what do you want for dinner?" I shrug my shoulders. I begin to braid my hair up so it will be curly tomorrow.

"Your mom has to go check in the Vet real quick, so go with her and get something on the way back." He tells me. I get up to change my shirt and put on some shoes. I snatch my book off my bed. "Thanks for ruining the good part Dad," I tease him. He pats me on the back. "Oh hush." I was walking down the hall towards my parents' room and see my mother grabbing her purse. "You coming?" She asked. I nod.

We get in the car and I'm done with one side of my head and start on the next one. "What do they need at your job?" I ask her. My mother is a veterinarian; owns her a veterinarian shop. "I don't know, but it sounded like emergency." She starts to accelerate through the streets. "Mom, slow down." I say to her. "Hush child." Instead of getting there in her usual time, we are at the shop in lighting speed.

She hurries to get out and I follow her. She burst in and the place looks busy. Walking up to the counter, she says something to the girl standing there. "Vicky, I hope you know that your job is on thin ice. What the hell is going on here?" She grits her teeth at Vicky. Vicky's face starts to turn red. I watch my mother's frown deepen. "Ben didn't show up this afternoon so it's just me and five other people back there." She nervously says.

My mother inhales slowly. "Alright well I'll take care of things." She starts to walk to the back.

"Nia go back there and get Wren. Tell him to get his ass over here and help these people." She orders. I go to find Wren. A guy who has been working with my mom for a while now and she says he is the only one around here she can trust with her business. "Wren." I call out. He shouts back, "In here."

He was in the one of the operating rooms. I go in and see it's empty. "Nia, where's your mom?" Wren is a white man with the greenest eyes I've ever seen; He had a goatee and glasses. He is also one of her best friend's. "In her office. She wanted me to tell you to help, but what happened here?" I ask him. He was examining a dog's bones.

"I called your mom to tell her about something." He said, still not looking at me. "Okay...about what? Ben? Cause she already knows about him." I say. He shakes his head. "No, about Dino." He sadly says. "Dino? Who is—"Wren there you are, What did you call me for? Why are there so many people out there? And what the hell did I hear about Ben? He didn't come in today?" She spouts questions at him.

"Wren?" She walks in and notice's the bones he's looking at. "Are these of Dino?" She says. I stand back, still confused. "Who is Dino?" I finally asked. They both turn to me, seeming to forget I'm here. "Oh baby, Dino is Wren's very old dog. He has showed sign of cancer in his bones." Wren turns back around and sets the sheet down. "I don't know what to do Candace." He turns to my mom. She pulls him into a hug.

Vicky comes in and ruins the moment by saying that a patient needs to see Dr. Gardson. Wren slips out of mom's hold and shoos her away. "Go on, we can talk about him later."

My mother huffs and goes out with Vicky. I sit down and wait for her. Now that mom was here to sort out everything, there were less people unattended. I sit in a waiting chair next to the door, pulling out my book, I start to read. Next thing I know someone comes in, making the bell above the door ring. I look up and see the last person I wanted to see today. Aiden.