The Town of Blackwater (2/4)

"Wow, you've been here for like twenty minutes and you're already pulling on their heart strings." Amy says as I approach the booth.

"I think I'll try that fried pickle now," I say.

"Are you sure that's the pickle you want to try?" She teases.

"Well you're not wrong there," I say before looking over my shoulder to see Charlie, the Sheriff and a couple other guys staring at me.

I take another swig of my beer before turning back around. I squint my eyes in thought and she says:

"Uh-Oh.. I know that look. What scheme are you plotting in that brain of yours?"

A mischievous smirk spreads on my lips and I stand up from the booth once again.

"Wanna play pool?" I ask.

"I think you've done enough teasing for the day. Besides, we have to check out the house and settle in before nightfall," David says.

"You are such a cock blocker," I say as I roll my eyes.

I take a bite of the fried pickle and drinking the rest of my beer in one shot, earning a couple whoops from Charlie's friends.

"It's been a while since we've seen a girl that can hold her beer, ain't that right boys?" One man says.

I hold the Sheriff's gaze for a little while before dropping mine to the floor. David leaves the cash on the table before allow us to walk in front. I tuck a few strands on hair behind my ear as I walk passed.

"See ya'll tomorrow morning," Charlie says before we walk out the door.

"What?" I say to David.

"Him and I got to talking and I found out that he did construction. So him and his crew are going to help fix the roof of the shed; they start the job tomorrow morning." David explains.

"But don't get any ideas. I don't want you distracting them from doing their jobs." He adds frantically.

"Oh please, I have no idea what you're talking about." I say innocently.

"Uh huh," He says skeptically.

We walk back to the car to see the same man that tried to come in earlier with the dog, in our car.

"Hey, what the hell is this?" David says.

"Wait, I got this," Amy states.

I go with her as she approaches the man and told David to stay put. As the man spoke with Amy, I've came to realize that he is autistic.. which breaks my heart to see the people to this town treat him so poorly because of it.

Eventually the man's brother came out and brought him back inside the diner. He apologizes to the both of us and Amy and I say:

"No problem,"

"We loved you guys' TV show." He adds before leaving.

"Thanks."

"What was that all about?" David asks as he approaches.

"Nothing," I say.

"But I'm driving," Amy says as she starts the car.

**

I've been talking to the Sheriff as a distraction from what I want but can't have: Charlie. The temptations are definitely there because he is working the roof of the shed just beside the house.

But I can't do anything.. because then what kind of friend would I be?

There is this big game between two rivaling football teams today, and what happens before that is church and a picnic.

Knowing that David is an atheist.. things might get a little awkward. And it did, when the pastor was in the middle of his sermon, David stood up and left. Charlie followed soon after him and Amy and I exchanged looks.

"Charlie wouldn't do anything to hurt David.. especially after church... right?" Amy whispers.

"Don't ask me, I have no idea what Charlie is capable... do you want me to check on David?" I whisper.

"No, the sermon's ending anyway, we should stay and respect the pastor." She says.

I nod in agreement and listen to the pastor until the sermon was over. Amy and I walk out to see Charlie leaning against the door of David's car with David inside. I trot over and ask:

"Is there a problem here?"

"No, not at all." David says.

"Hop in, guys," He adds.

I glance at Charlie before quite literally jumping into the backseat.

"See y'all the picnic," he says, giving me a wink.

I lean my face against my hand and didn't respond to his wink. I changed from my yellow sundress to a navy bikini set, sandals and a thin, white fabric tied around my waist. It is hotter than a desert here in Black Water.

I get a can of ginger ale before sitting down next to Amy, who was speaking amongst her all girl friends.

"Everyone, this is my best friend for drama school, Y/N Y/L/N." Amy introduces.

"Hey, I know you.. Weren't you her rival in that one TV show?" One of the woman asks.

"Yep," I say.

"And you're best friends in real life?" The same woman asks.

"Yep,"

Right in that point of our conversation, Charlie comes over and kneels down next to a pregnant woman.

"How's the baby coming along?" He asks.

"Good," the woman responded.

Charlie placed his hands on her stomach and smiles up at the woman when one of his coworkers, Norman, says:

"Back off, man. This gal is mine."

"That's probably the most romantic thing he said, that and 'you're what?'" The woman says, earning laughs from us.

"There you guys are," David says as he approaches us.

"Sorry, not sorry." I say before taking a sip of my ginger ale.

"Not quite as good as the diner's beer isn't it?" Charlie asks.

"Nope.. not quite." I respond.

He leans against the edge of the table as stares down at me at the same time I stare up at him. I finished my ginger ale and stand from the table as I say:

"You got anything stronger?"

"I'll show you where the beer cooler is," Charlie says.

"You want one too, or you good?" I ask David and Amy, whilst looking over my shoulder as I am walking.

"I'll take one," Amy says.

"Alright,"

I turn back around to hear:

"Watch out for the-!"