Twenty Eight

"Finn I told you to leave me alone." Y/n yelled at me.

"Wish I could but I fucking live here remember?" I yelled at her angrily as I chucked my school bag on the ground of my room. She was lay on my bed, staring at a photograph. I'm guessing it's the one her mother left her for her 18th birthday.

Me and y/n both had our birthdays on the same day, December 23. Which means we both turn 18 on the same day; since she's living with me, I guess my dad will force us to have a joint birthday party. Great!

That is unless she finds out who her dad is. Maybe I could help her and she would be out of my house and my life.

"Any closer to finding out who your dad is?" I casually ask her, taking a seat on my chair, spinning it around so I'm facing her.

"Why do you care?" She snaps back and I just roll my eyes.

"I don't." I snap back at her.

"Then don't ask." She pulled her phone out and began to text someone.

"Look, here's the deal. I will help you find your father and then you can leave here and we can never speak or see each other again." I sighed as she sat up on my bed and raised an eyebrow. Knew that would grab her attention.

"What if we find out my father isn't alive?" She crosses her arms against her chest and I did the same.

"Then you can go to your closest relative in New York."

"Let me get this straight." She started and I just rolled my eyes. "You're going to help me find my father dead or alive and whichever we find I get to leave here and never see you again?"

"Yes." I responded and a smile appeared on her face as she stuck her hand out, motioning for me to shake it.

"Deal." I shook her hand as she spoke and we both pulled our phones out, searching on the internet for stories about kids who are missing their fathers and how they reunited and the best ways to find someone's missing relatives.

We got nowhere with that.

"Your Dad left you at birth right?" I asked her and she nodded.
"What if any of my parents know something about it? We were born in the same hospital and your mom used to live with my mom in college." I suggested and she raised an eyebrow.

"It's worth a shot." We both leaped off the bed and made our way down the stairs.

"Mom. Dad." I yelled after them as we bombarded our way down the stairs like a herd of elephants. They were both perched on the sofa with a book in my mom's hand and a newspaper in my dad's hand. They both turned to look our way as we made our way into the living room.

"Do you know anything about y/n's dad?" I asked and my dad folded up his newspaper slowly and carefully placed it down on the coffee table in front of him, leaving an unnecessary dramatic pause, before he parted his thin lips to speak.

"Why the sudden questions about y/n's father Finn?"

"We're trying to find him. Y/n's lost everyone she knew, the least we could do is find her father." I noticed her bow her head as I mentioned how everyone she knew had left her.
"Do you at least know something mom?"

"I'm sorry Finn, I can't help you. Y/m/n (you're mother's name) was very secretive about him, I never got a chance to meet the guy. As soon as y/m/n fell pregnant, the guy hardly played any role in her life. He was a one night stand."

I noticed y/n's expression change majorly when my mom had mentioned that. What an asshole for running away from his child and woman he got pregnant...

"Is there anything else?" My Dad asked and I shook my head.

"Is my dad alive at least?" Y/n's small voice spoke but she didn't look up once.

"I'm sorry y/n, he died in his science lab when he was trying to come up with a cure for cancer. He accidentally released a dangerous toxin in the air and had to quarantine himself and he was dead in a few hours." My Dad had told her and she backed away like she was about to run away but I gripped her hand and felt her squeeze it tightly. We both backed away and made our way upstairs.

"I'll call my relatives in Mississippi." She told me as I closed my bedroom door.

"No."

"What?" She looked at me with a confused expression.

"My Dad was lying. He's not dead." I told her and she seemed even more confused than ever.

"How do you know?"

"Because my dad is a terrible liar. Did you not notice all the signs?" Y/n just shook her head. "His eye twitched and it only does when he's lying, he spoke faster than he normally does which Dad only does when he lies. He was fidgeting slightly and he wouldn't even look us in the eye. My dad has always believed in respecting people when in a conversation by using eye contact." I told her and she just stared at me.

"So if he's not dead, then what is your dad hiding?" She asked me.

A very good question indeed!

"Exactly." We both stared at each other, wondering why my dad lied. I couldn't help but wonder if my mom was lying about knowing him too. What if they were both keeping information from us? If so, what?

Authors note: I finally wrote 900+ words. Be proud.