Twenty Six

Authors note: I recommend you listen to the song attached to this chapter when you get down to the performance.

I ran through the back doors of the school and down the hallway to the auditorium/theatre. I slipped backstage without anyone noticing me, trying to find Ayla.

"Next up is Ayla Aster-Mabel and y/f/n" the teach that was presenting the talent show spoke into the microphone and his voice echoed across the hall and backstage.

"Actually it's just me." I heard her voice and peaked through the curtains backstage to see her setting up her guitar. She plugged in a lead into her guitar which connects to an amp at the back of the stage.

I needed to get her attention one way or another. I stared around backstage for any inspiration and some switches caught my eye. I ran over to them and switched them off as Ayla strummed a few chords on her guitar. The microphones on stage turned off and shortly after I pulled a handle down and all of the power went out in the theatre so everywhere was pitch black.

Most of the students in their seats started panicking and teachers were lighting candles to look around at what happened.

"Everyone calm down it's just a power cut." One teacher yelled and some girls screamed at the pitch black which made me roll my eyes. Drama queens.

Before anyone noticed, I grabbed a microphone and plugged it in to a socket on the sound system when the sound guy had disappeared.

The microphone made a bone shattering screech so I had to hold my ears since I was right next to the speakers. Big mistake. I was now deaf.

I plugged my new phone (which Eric bought for me since a certain asshole broke mine) into the sound system and clicked on a piano track which I was going to sing over. I had no idea why this was my plan but I needed to get Ayla's attention. Even if it meant getting the entire school's attention too.

I felt my heart beating at the speed of light as I waited for my queue. The piano started playing and everyone in the theatre went silent, wondering what was happening.

"When did I become so numb?" I started singing. My voice starting out wobbly.

"When did I lose myself?
All the words that leave my tongue
Feel like they came from someone else
I'm paralyzed
Where are my feelings?
I no longer feel things
I know I should
I'm paralyzed
Where is the real me?
I'm lost and it kills me inside
I'm paralyzed." I continued to sing, my eyes were closed in case the lights turned back on.

~ Finn's point of view ~

I recognised the voice but I couldn't see because the entire theatre was pitch black.
"When did I become so cold?" She continued to sing.
I used the torch of my phone to wander over to the power box.
"When did I become ashamed?" I heard her sing still.
I switched the lights back on and turned my torch off to see y/n stood there by the sound system with a microphone.

"Where's the person that I know?
They must have left
They must have left
With all my faith." She was singing into the microphone and it really made me feel like crying. Why was she singing this?

I stood completely still by the power box just listening to her pour her heart out into the microphone in front of the entire school. I noticed Ayla and a few teachers come running through the curtains and backstage to see y/n stood there. A student pulled the curtains open to reveal her to the entire school and the chatter of the students died down when they saw her stood there.

"I'm paralysed." She sung the last note and the piano slowly died out.

Everyone was so shocked and caught off by her singing and her beautiful voice that the entire theatre was silent and speechless. She must have opened her eyes because she dropped the microphone then and just made a runner out of the back foot backstage.

"Y/n." Ayla yelled after her, before turning to me.