Chapter 56

"We are gathered here today-," it almost seemed like a wedding but it wasn't as the announcer continued on to say that it was for my judgement. The court was smaller than yesterdays and I was surprised that we were still here alive and nothing had happened overnight. Well...apart from Daniel and I, nothing bad had happened. 

"Can the defendant rise." There was silence as I looked around 

Daniel nudged me, "That's you."

Oh shit. What was I defending?

I stood up quickly clasping my hands in front of me. Am I meant to say that's me. 

The lady went on about the claims against me, I nodded to each one. Well...she wasn't wrong. I did kill those people but the way she was saying it made it seem like I was a bored serial killer. Not acting in the defence of protecting the royal blood line.

In the crowd I met the eyes of the king, and his glaring eyes that made me shiver. God he did not look happy and judging by the bags under his eyes he hadn't got much sleep himself.  I was almost surprised that there was no murder against me last night. 

Maybe he was as tired as he looked, or he gave up, or a mix of both.

"Do you have any last pleads?"

I shook my head realising that the question was directed at me. 

"You may sit." 

I sat back down and Daniel reached for my palm, placing it between his. I looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

"Why are your hands shaking?" I asked. Shouldn't it be mine that are shaking?"

"I had too much coffee." 

"Mhm." I nodded. Daniel opened his mouth to say something else but was cut off by the judge talking again.

"The jury has come to a decision this morning with all the gathered evidence. We have reached more than one verdict that will not only impact those that were found guilty, but all of us in this room."

"What does she mean?" I asked.

Daniel's grip on my hand tightened and it was almost uncomfortable, yet I let him  hold it. He seemed more nervous than me. I felt nothing, well a little cold since it wasn't that warm in this room but apart from that I was just going to take the verdict as it came.

I knew one of these days karma would get me, maybe it was today.

"Nikolevich please stand."

"What?" I asked confused looking at Daniel, why is Nik being asked to stand? Was he even here? I turned around and sure enough a pale faced Nik was seated three rows behind next to his mother who unlike him had all the colour to her face. She had her hair down in a perfect bun, eyes attentive and not a strand of loose hair out of place.

"Please proceed to the panel."

I watched as Nik stumbled forward, he was dressed in a navy suit, looking nervous as he looked around. His eyes met mine and I noticed the fear in them. Why was he scared?

Daniel however seemed more relaxed, his grip on my hand loosened and I looked at him, he knew something I didn't. Before I could ask him what it was the judge had already started speaking again.

"From this day forward Nikolevich the third is crowned the ruling prince as per being the legal heir."

"What." I asked, a bit too loudly earning a few looks from people around me.

I still hadn't fully gotten over the plot twists form the day before. I saw Nik cast me a worried look and I was pretty sure that meant he wasn't too happy with this. But that was a different matter to deal with.