Chapter Twenty-Four

"You call this dinner?"

Alex looked up at the burnt sandwich and shrugged, "I tried, it's not my fault the cooks weren't cooking tonight,"

I smiled shaking my head at his failed attempt to make my favourite sandhich, well it wasn't that burnt, I guess.

It was the taste that counted, not the looks. After all it really wasn't his fault the royal family were going to the Russian's Prime Ministers house for dinner. And it wasn't his fault that they only needed eight guards leaving the rest of these behind.

I took a hesitant bite to realize it was gone bad, he must have left it for too long in the sandhich makers, "Mmm, this is delicious," I lied forcing myself to swallow it. Damn it I should have gone and had lunch in the afternoon, I was starving.

Alex beamed taking a slice for himself. I tried not to laugh as his face changed colour and he spat it across the table.

"The tomato was half rotten,"

"Oh gross,"

I said taking a napkin and spitting out the mouthful I had. 

"Let's go out for dinner," he stood up wiping the crumbs off his shirt. At the mention of going out it reminded me that Carter owes me dinner, well for my banana baby anyways.

"Actually you go, I have plans,"

"What plans?" asked Alex with a raised eyebrow.

"Carter owes me a meal, I'm going to make him regret ever offering," I said, he said dinner, not a date.

"Poor guy, have fun," said Alex giving me a kiss on the cheek before rushing off, probably to use Listerine to get the foul taste out of his mouth.

I got up throwing the bread in the bin and placing the plate in the sink and headed off towards Carter's room.

My tongue swept over my teeth trying to erase the foul taste as I knocked on his door and I was surprised to see it open before I even finished.

"Isandra,"

"Um, hi?" I said feeling a bit embarrassed he caught me with my finger up my mouth trying to get rid of a tomato.

"Wassup?" I asked discreetly wiping my finger on my pants, these jeans were old anyways.

He raised an eyebrow and leaned against the doorway amused, crossing his hands across his chest, "I"m sure you didn't come here for small talk,"

I shrugged, that was true, "Yea I came for food, let's go I'm starving,"

Carter smiled shaking his head and instead of ducking inside to get his wallet, yes he was paying, he owed me, or jacket he just stepped forward closing the door, making me step back to put some distance.

"I'm cooking," he answered at my unsaid question as I raised an eyebrow. I groaned.

"Hey, I am a brilliant  cook," he said looking at the expression on my face as I followed him back towards the kitchens we came for.

"Well better be, because Alex just failed,"

"So that's why you came to me, for food? Heart broken," he said placing a hand on his chest and I rolled my eyes.

"The truth is harsh," 

I got back  on the same seat and smiled, it was still warm and laughed to myself, gross

"Good think I can handle the truth," He said and I rolled my eyes. This guy was going to make rolling my eyes a serious bad habit.

"Okay what are you making me, some pasta? Oh yes with olives and some bad bad cheese and make is greasy, hey maybe lasagna!" I said feeling my appetite surge.