Epilogue

How long could a person go without sleeping?

Not very long. My head hurt, my vision wasn't as clear as normal and I lost my appetite. I could still hear everything Daniel said from last night as clear as day and the last thing I wanted to do was think about it. But how could you not?

I sat in the kitchen sighing. The other staff and daily buzz continued around me as I looked at my untouched bowl of oats.

It was as bland as how I felt. Sloppy and utterly disgusting. 

"Whatcha doing?"

I looked up at the voice that was far more joyous than mine. Carter scooted in front of me, dressed up, ready for a day at work, a perfectly ironed shirt and I stared at it annoyed at how he got to wear a uniform. As much as I hated that uniform previously, I wanted it now. In front of him was a plate filled with hash browns, sausages, toast, eggs and mushrooms. 

"Why do you look so glum?"

"I'm not glum?" I lied as he popped a buttered up mushroom in his mouth. 

"You look like that. Shouldn't you be happier after everything."

I shrugged. "I don't know." I  guess I should but at the same time I couldn't feel happier. 

"You're alive.  You're not in jail and you are innocent. I would assume that the Isandra I know would be celebrating right now. Not sitting here looking so sad."

I scoffed, I don't thin he knew the real 'Isandra' now, I wouldn't really every be celebrating as hard as he thought I would. 

"You forgot to add that I just lost my job."

"No you didn't."

"Did you hear what the jury said, I'm not allowed to be a guard."

Carter waved his knife as he shovelled eggs into his mouth, "They didn't say that. They said there were some things that you couldn't do. Even though  you would probably be the best person to look after Nik you can find something else to do."

"Like what." I groaned, I didn't particularly want to look after Nik either but I did miss some parts of that baby sitting role. I stirred my oats that were starting to harden up. I should really chuck this out. 

"How about you go into training guards? Make them all as good as you?"

"Isn't that your job...as head of them?"

Carter shrugged, "Yeah but we can do with more people?"

I frowned, "I'll think about it." I said to make him drop the subject, I didn't really feel like talking either. In fact I just wanted to sleep again. 

"I'm going to assume that you wouldn't want to go back to your...you know, old job before you came here." I shook my head. Those days were truly over. I didn't even really consider that. Well..should I?

"Move over."

I looked up as Daniel scooted into the seat and I obliged moving down to make room for him, sure enough his plate was identical to Carter's before he scoffed it all. Carter excused himself rather quickly leaving us both alone.

I watched his figure walk out, did we have a bomb?

"Do you want some eggs?"

I shook my head.

"Did you sleep well last night?" I hesitated and then slowly nodded. I didn't, and Daniel knew I didn't but I wasn't going to admit it myself.

I winced when I felt his hand on my knee, his palm wrapping around in a tight grip, "You good?"