Chapter Thirty-Three

"What will happen after this mission?"

I shoved everything off my bed to the ground and lay on it tired, damn that hike took more energy than I assumed, I just wanted to sleep, not sit around and talk. 

Daniel chucked me a can and I caught it, soda, this should keep me up. 

"I don't know, what do you mean?"  I said jumping up on the bed liking the way it bounced, if I lay I was going to fall asleep. Plus I was meant to keep watch tonight. Daniel leaned up against the wall, propping one foot off, the sight becoming too familiar.

"You know, will we still be able to talk," he said. I shrugged, he knew the protocol. After every mission, whatever happened, ends there. It was meant to be like we never existed. That was why I was successful. No one knew anything I never left anything behind.

And that was why I worked by myself, I didn't like making friends and as much as I hated to admit it, Daniel wasn't a stranger. I would remember him.

"Well I'll tell you one thing," said Daniel smiling, "I will always remember you," he said, just like he was reading my mind, yet again.

I rolled my eyes, "Yea well that's if I don't kill you before then," I joked popping open my soda. He frowned, his eyes darkening.

"Don't say that," 

I frowned, well he just did another 180 mood change.

"What? I was just joking, don't worry I'll um," I took a large gulp of the sweet liquid, "Eh, help if you ever need it," only on the mission of course. This didn't bring a smile to his face, he just stared at the floor.

"Chillax, I have your back I won't let your girly self die" I said taking another sip, what got up his arse.

"Yea well, we have two days left," he said and it hit me. The mission was nearly over, tomorrow and then half a day, not even two and then it was back to me killing who ever the government wanted me to.

No more week long missions, no more partners, back to Isandra and herself. Somehow my stomach churned at that thought.

"Sandy?"

I looked up clearing my throat, "What?"  He stepped away from the wall rubbing his arm anxiously and I raised an eyebrow.

"I," he sighed frowning.

"What?"

"Nothing you can have the first sleep I'll wake you up in four hours," he walked out of my room closing the door behind me.

What was that? I shrugged it off laying down, thank god my eyes were already closing.

*

I sat up in the bed wide awake and looked at the time, six, I was only asleep for three hours but I felt so energized. I wanted to run, kick something, there was too much energy.

I sighed running a hand over my head as I heard someone move around, I looked up, Jax. He came out of the bathroom running a towel through his hair already dressed, why was he up so early?

I rolled over wincing when I landed on my back, I had to clean that up. I grabbed my toothbrush and paste and got up walking to the bathroom, grunting when he said "Good Morning."

It was too early to be a good morning.

I looked at my face in the reflection, oh lord. My hair was a mess, blank tangles everywhere, I eyed the scissors in the cupboard. Should I cut it all off? It seemed better than running a comb and pulling half of it out in tangles anyway.