Born For Loyalty ~ Chapter One

"Do you think this is the right place?" I looked up from the map on my phone, "Surely not Daniel." This cannot be the right place. But then at the back of my mind I knew it was, because there is only one place here...that isn't the right place. Please don't be the right place. 

Daniel on the other hand was whistling as he proceeded ahead. "What's wrong with it. I think it's nice. Quaint. Cute. Just what we need."

I frowned, "We're in the middle of no where."

"I thought you liked the peace and quiet Sandy. You like your solidarity." Well yes but not after everything that's happened recently. I just want to cover myself with people, well around me not on my for obvious reasons. I just wanted to blend in, not stick out. 

"Yes but not when the nearest town is thirty minutes away. Daniel we're surrounded by the woods!"

Daniel opened the key to the white door, kicking it open as it didn't budge. I ignored the silent shiver that went down my spine and followed after him. The house inside was fine, there was nothing wrong with it. It looked new, apart from the eerie feeling of being surrounded by trees.

It just brought back bad memories.

"It's only temporary. Just till ours get fixed right."

I rolled my eyes, I told him not to leave the oven on and have a nap. 

"Fine, three weeks isn't that long of a time." 

"Remember how I said we should run away and start a farm?"

I looked up, the spark in his eyes worried me. "No Daniel. When I said i needed a job, I didn't mean picking up cow shit." Carter's offer to help train the guards was still playing at the back of my mind. But being stripped of my role to protect the royal family still hurt, it was too soon.

Maybe these three weeks I'll find something online, something that wasn't a security guard at a shopping centre....screaming kids. Hard pass from me.

"I'll bring the stuff in." Daniel walked back outside while I looked at the big timber furnishings inside. There was just so much wood, i was getting concerned that Daniel will probably leave the oven on again.

I headed towards the kitchen, please let there be no oven.

It just wasn't my lucky day. I placed my phone on the kitchen counter going outside to help bring in the things. We didn't have much luggage, just a couple of bags each. Alex was kind enough to keep the rest at his while they fixed the house.

"I told Alex to come over for dinner tonight."

"That's nice." I said. 

"Are you guys...ok?"

I paused as I picked up a bag, "What do you mean?" Why wouldn't we be ok? But the tone in my voice made me feel like there was something that was not ok.

"Nothing. Did you want pasta for dinner?"

I shrugged "Anything."

"Good...because we only have pasta."

* * * 

Alex didn't come for dinner.

He said he had to work late.

On a weekend? Sure.

I stared out the window at the woods, the moon barely hinting that there were trees out there, endless rows and rows of trees.

"Sandy?"

"In here."

"There you are, I was looking for you. Why are you sitting in the dark?"

"There's no blinds in this house."

"And?"

"If we turn on the lights people can see inside."

"Sandy..." the couch dipped as Daniel sat next to me, he wrapped a hand over my shoulder, his temperature keeping me warm, "There is no one out there to look inside."

"Yeah...I guess."

For some reason I couldn't shake off the feeling that there was something out there. Watching us.

I closed my eyes sighing, three weeks Sandy. You only had to be here for three weeks. Daniel did give me the option of staying with Alex, but I couldn't be around him either. Not after everything. 

"Why did you guys lie."

Daniel stiffened next to me, "It's not that easy to explain."

"They're alive. You both knew it." I couldn't put too much blame on Daniel, he only just got back. I was still trying to get over that, but Alex. He knew what those lies did to me. He carried them over years. He just built on them, he had a foundation that was probably stronger than the burned down kitchen.

"I'm not mad," what a lie, we all knew I was seething, "I'm just curious."

Don't start shit, you're at a good place. Why can't I just let things be?

I could tell Daniel was getting uncomfortable next to me, he does that. Goes quiet, his eyebrows knot like he was having an internal battle with himself. There were a lot of things that happened during this time. I wanted to ask him, but I was scared to find out what he had been up to. I reached up stroking the side of his chin, his stubble prickling my fingers.

"What aren't you telling me."

Daniel sighed tearing his gaze away from the glass to look at me, "Isandra. It's just not that easy."

"Alright." I let me hand drop to my lap, "I won't push for it." Did I wish that they didn't tell me?

Maybe.

"Should we go to sleep?"

Daniel shrugged "If you're tired."

"I am."

I was getting really good at this lying thing, or if he knew he didn't say anything. I waited till his breathe became stable, it took him at least more than an hour to fall asleep while I pretended to be out in second.

I reached for my phone, sliding under the blankets and turning it on. I opened up my emails, please be an email.

The only way I could get pure satisfaction about my curiosity is to find them. 

Inbox: 0

I groaned. Why wasn't he replying? If anyone knew where my parents were, it was going to be him.

Sometimes the only ones you can trust are your enemies.

I turned my phone off, slipping it under my pillow and closing my eyes.

He'll reply, I told myself. He owes me. 

Instagram: imsooverpolice - let me know you thoughts! Also, going to start the process to publish the first book so I hope you all buy it!! xx