Chapter Fifty-four

Sorry about the previous mistake in the chapter confusing Nik and Jax lol, fixed it! SORRY I FUCKED UP (please still love me) ((even tho late upd4t3))

I narrowed my eyes at Daniel at the same time, trying not to smile, "Stop joking!" I whispered back. This was a serious situation and I was ten seconds away from laughing. Daniel's brown eye winked as he chuckled looking back at the others, "Nothing wrong with a bit of fun."

"Nothing wrong with them hanging my neck either." I sighed. I nearly winced when I felt something touch my wrist, before his hand enveloped mine, giving it a tight reassuring squeeze. 

"Nothing is going to happen to that neck of yours." 

I turned to look at him, it wasn't like he could stop that. His eyes were facing away form me but I could see the small frown that tinted his lips that reflected across his face. Even if I looked at his face all day there was always a small thing i noticed that was different.

One thing was for sure. He wasn't the same person I knew two years ago, he was better. Knowing that I slipped my hand out of his tight grip, and crossed my arms. I couldn't let myself feel things again, not when my life was on the line again. 

I was selfish, I didn't want to feel the pain again when something you finally got was pulled away from you. I could feel Daniel's confusion as he stared at me. Was it cold in here?

I forced my brain to listen to the elders speak instead of feeling his eyes on me, making my stomach flip. Trying to ignore the strange feeling at the back of my throat. 

"And what gives you the right to come back after all these years claiming the throne is yours? It's mine!"

"Not legally."

"Prove it."

"Silence in the court!" The large gavel down, the sound resounding the half empty room. It almost echoed in my ears as a taunt, the same gavel that would probably slam down calling me guilty. Even if he wasn't the king to be he was still part of the royal family. 

And who was I, just someone living in the shadows of her parents. How could someone be born into such a life. 

All the lives I had taken flashed before me, all the crimes I committed in the name of 'protecting my country'. But the others were doing the same for theirs, so who really was right. What other outcome could be for a killer?

I almost smiled, that's how fucked up I was inside, I almost smiled at my faith that we all knew.

"Does the defendant have anything to say?"

I stared blankly before realising that it was me they were talking.

"You can't give that rat a chance to speak!"

Oh thanks king. I nearly rolled my eyes. But I had nothing to say, no apology would be greater enough and no tear would have enough wait. So I shook my head feeling the heaviness in my heart.

"The court will resume tomorrow, twenty four hours to make a decision."

Fuck. That did not sound good.

Daniel turned to face me as people started standing up and walking out, the members to the court room and the others to god knows where.

"What?" I asked as he stared at me, my shield coming back up. You can't let him see you weak, not him of all people. But why was that? Why did you always never want those you cared about to see you so vulnerable. 

"The outcome was good."

"Is it?" I asked.

He nodded, "Yeah, I think." he frowned and then looked around, "We just need to keep you alive for the next twenty-four hours."