Chapter Fifty-Three

"But if I whispered they wouldn't hear us," Daniel muttered as we stood in the cold room, it felt like moments before someone spoke.

"You're late."

Well no shit sherlock, I looked over at the elder man who said that, his white hair was a dead stat give away, was he even alive? He looked like a ghost sitting on a chair. Hollow cheeks, sunken eyes, he had the whole thing going for him.

"We ran into traffic on the way." Daniel shrugged brushing non existent fluff of his coat and walking forward, was I meant to follow him? 

I took a step forward and then decided maybe I'll just pause there, the room was quite dark lit for a court house, if you could even call this poor excuse of a room a court house. There were pillars that cut off me from seeing everyone completely. It also felt chilly in here.

"Well...now that you are here, we shall continue."

I looked at Daniel who looked over his shoulder waving for me to come closer, and I took a hesitant step forward. There were a few familiar faces, a few non familiar faces and a few that seemed like I should know them but I couldn't remember.

But one face stuck out from the rest, it was hard not to spot the horrified face stared at me. The king.

The look on his face, the anger, it made me nearly stop walking towards Daniel. The narrowed eyes were livid and I was sure if no one was here he wouldn't think twice about putting a gun on my head, or maybe a rope around my neck. I felt a silent shiver pass through my body as he held my gaze. 

I stepped closer towards Daniel.

It just felt like words being uttered all around me as people were talking, they were talking about me but no one was talking to me about me. Wouldn't they need to talk to me. I looked at Daniel, feeling my gaze he looked over his shoulder. Why did he look so calm?

The voices spoke, some were loud, some were yelling and some were like whispers. In a way as I stood here I felt like maybe this would be the last time I was standing, and that I should remember things in my life.

Didn't people say that your last moments you remembered your whole life?  Maybe it wasn't my last moments because I didn't remember my whole life, and what was worse was that i didn't really regret anything I had done either.

It was what I was trained to do. And the more I stared at the king, the more I realised that I probably was going to be hung after all. Well...it was about time.

I looked at Daniel who was staring at me, his hazel eyes looking puzzled and as much as his exterior might look confident, there was also a touch of something else in those eyes. Maybe it was worry, of the outcome, or afraid, of what would happen next. 

I shifted on my feet looking around and then I spotted innocent Nik shifting very uncomfortably in his seat before his eyes finally met mine and brightened up. He mouthed something at me, something like "this seat is cold."

I narrowed my eyes, surely that's not his biggest problem right now?

"Order!" a booming voice commanded as the noise got louder. 

"She must die!"

I raised an eyebrow, and I want banana lollies but we all don't get what we want now do we. I looked at the voice, it was someone I never recognised but since he was sitting next to the king I assumed he was speaking for the man himself. 

"She murdered the future king!"

"Well technically he wasn't the future king though was he?" I muttered, but it wasn't a mutter since it was loud enough for them all to go silent. I looked at Daniel, oops?

This is why you need to shut up Isandra, our mouth always got you in trouble. 

"There is no proof he is the future king."

"But thats the thing isn't it, there is." I looked at Daniel as he said this. 

He looked over his shoulder, this time not at me, but something behind me. As well as everyone else in the room. So I turned as well.

One thing was for sure, you could see the resemblance. Long brown curled hair, bright blue eyes that I could see from across the hall, and dressed in a sleek red dress she sure knew how to get the attention.

I tilted my head, why did my hair never look like that?

"Miss me brother?" 

And when she walked it was like you were in a trance, not able to look away. The way she held herself with such confidence, it sure captured all of your attention. She walked past me towards the stadium, "Or should I say murderer?"

I looked at the King, who was standing up now, his face red but I was sure it was from anger and not embarassment. 

"What are you talking about, guards seize the traitor! You abandoned the throne!" 

Nik's mother, scoffed, "Oh shut up. I didn't abandon anything. I took a break. And before you continue with this she killed your son, you do realise your son isn't the pure blood anyway. He was a bastard child Jonathan, he would never have the throne."

Bastard child? I looked at Daniel, but somehow he didn't seem as confused as I was. Instead he was staring at the ceiling. I looked up, what was at the ceiling. Just coloured glass tiles. I looked back to see him smile at me. At least one of us was calm.

"What am I missing here?" I asked.

"You know that grave?"

I nodded, well how could I forget I just literally spent most of my last few hours hugging it, "That's Nik's mother."

"I assumed."

"Well, Jax's mother was Jonathan's mistress." 

"Wait what?" I said a bit too loudly.

"The real queen was infertile, so the kind decided to screw her sister instead. They looked quiet identical so the birth was kept a secret but the real queen was murdered by them both when Jax was born. They played it off as child birth accident, she buried behind the church actually."

"That's the calmest you've ever said anything." I said. 

Daniel shrugged, "It's old news."

"It's new to me."

"Oh...true. So with Jax being a half royal he can become King, if he was still alive of course, but as you figured out Nik is the real heir, so if anything his life is more valuable than Jax's. regardless of whether he is the current king or not."

"So what does that mean?"

"It means you're not going to be hung princess."

I rolled my eyes, "Let me guess my parents are also royal and still alive." 

Daniel chuckled, and did something I didn't expect him to do in public, especially at a hearing. He reached for my hand, which might not seem like a lot to other people, but when he interlaced his fingers with his pulling me a bit closer, it felt a lot more than it was meant to, with the way my heart skipped a beat. 

"Nah you're just a commoner, sorry."

"It's alright I could be off worse."

"If it help," he said leaning closer to whisper in my ear, "You're the princess of my heart."

Instagram: nihapupzy (Come follow me!!!!)