Chapter Forty-One

Things were happening fast. Phone calls were being made. 

First I thought it was just the prince wanting his dose of attention, annoyed at the fact he got rejected in all ways possible. But after a steady run, making sure the area was safe, a three kilometre distance sprinting he was no where to be seen.

And there was no way he could have gone further if he was running or walking. 

"Nik, do you understand?" I asked. Nik of course who was calm now was on the verge of passing out.

His skin was paler than it used to be, "Do you think he's alive,"

"Of course he is, I promise to you that I will give him to you alive, Okay?" I asked placing a hand on his shoulder. Trying to "comfort" him but that really wasn't my forte. 

"I think, my dinner is going to come out," at that phrase I took a step back wrinkling my nose, he only got through a quarter by the time I raised the alarm but even if it was just a quarter. I didn't want any of it on my shoes.

"Hey," Carter called running up to me with something in his hand, "I have back up near by. I need to go get them, Alex will explain what you guys are doing," I nodded taking it in, "You're going to be okay...right?"

I looked at Nik who was not sitting on the stairs with his head in his hands between his knees, trying probably not to throw up, "Yeah I got him," Carter gave Nik a look before he nodded.

"Soon, I'll be back soon, Alex will let me know of changes, don't call my phone in case it gets tapped," 

I looked over Carter's retreating figure to see Alex and Eden.

"We need to split,"

I nodded, well that was obvious. "I know where the prince is," he replied whic stunned me, "What?" I asked confused.

"He's not taken he said he escaped and called me, I'm going to go get him, Eden will distract them with a ploy and you and Nik get far away from here as possible," he told us the new plan. All the other safety plans we made were down the drain now. 

I checked my back pocket for the gun, check. Spare bullets in my socks? 

Check

I ran my hands over my jeans, adrenaline pumping that finally some action but also caution. Something just didn't seem right. I still hadn't gotten a grasp of who was doing these attacks or why. What were they getting benefit?

And looking at Nik I frowned, why was Jax taken? Well okay he was the prince and maybe they didn't realise that it was Nik that was the legitimate heir.

But then maybe Nik was never going to get a chance to be king, the boy didn't seem keen and his parents were banished out of the country. There was a lot of unanswered questions. 

"Okay, We'll meet you there,"

I gave them a nod turning around when a hand grabbed mine and I halted, "Yeah?" I asked looking at Alex.

"Be careful, alright?" he said and I nodded, something stirring in my stomach with the look he gave me, "I would like to have my sister back in one piece," I rolled my eyes opening my mouth to send him some stupid witty Isandra comment but everyone got shut down when I felt his arms around me.

Awkwardly, a hug, felt so weird. 

Sure his hands were keeping their distance and not squashing me but it still felt weird. And before I knew it they were gone and he was walking away with Eden telling him something else to follow. 

I cleared my throat and turned around to approach Nik.

* * * 

"I'm tired," I agreed with Nik as he walked beside me, at least he was smart and brought a water bottle. What wasn't smart was that he drank most of it by the time we walked seven kilometres and I could fee the change in the air.