Chapter 55

Draco's POV:

"My father... Is dead?" My entire body went into shock and I didn't move.

Posey's face pinched. "I'm sorry, luv, it must still hurt so. And to have the news splashed on the front page of The Daily Prophet," she tisked. "The reporters should be ashamed of themselves, taking advantage of someone's grief to sell papers. I would want to pretend to be kidnapped, too, if I were in your place. I imagine it would be dreadful to be asked what I felt like, knowing that my father was toes up in the dirt."

Posey Parkinson was a rather insensitive cow, I noted absently. My mind was still reeling from the subtle slip of news from her large mouth. I turned to the shopkeeper, who had returned from the back. "Everything you required is in here, Master Malfoy." I placed a handful of galleons on the counter as I took the bag and nodded to Posey. "Mrs. Parkinson. It was a pleasure, none of less fortune. You'd best make your purchases. I think the shop has broke a water pipe." And just like that, the water pipe burst just like I oh so badly wanted to do. At the volume of the rushing sound in my ears, I figured they'd soon be swimming

I left Thecary's Potions and started back to the Leaky Cauldron. As I walked through the silent cobblestone of Knockturn Alley, my chest hurt something fierce and I was having trouble breathing. If I lay down, perhaps it would soon stop. But I'd have to do that on the train, seeing as it was soon time to go. I hoped I wasn't ill, because I'd rather not spend the first day of school in the Hospital wing with Madame Pomphrey.

"Ow! Hey, watch where you're bloody going, Malfoy!" I blinked, not having noticed that I'd bumped into someone. I peered up slightly, looking at an extremely tall Weasley who was towering over me and glaring daggers. I was also suddenly aware of the noise of hundreds of people speaking at once. I was in Diagon Alley in front of The Daily Prophet. Standing my ground, I held a hand to my chest where it inconveniently hurt. This was not the time.

"Draco, are you alright? You look a bit pale." Granger stood at Weasley's side, hands clutching a cloth bag. Harry had been right, she was taller than me.

"Don't ask him if he's alright. He needs to apologize. And I doubt I'll get one unless I beat it out of him." Weasel stated, his overly large hands clenched into fists. I looked at my hands for a second and realized how dainty and small they seemed compared to his.

"Ron, don't. Draco, I heard about your father and I'm extremely sorry. Are you alright?" Granger moved forward and payed a hand on my arm. I was quite still recovering from the news, so I didn't shrug her of. And it felt kind of... Nice.

"Hermione, let me hit him. He's a bloody pompous git and has turned Harry. He needs to learn his place." Weasley made a move towards me, his face red in anger and a seething snarl on his lips. Before he could get any closer, Harry stepped in between us and moved me behind him. I hadn't seen Harry before, but where there were two, the third couldn't be far away. Dull, green eyes focused intensely on me for a long second and I felt like Harry was reading my mind. Perhaps it was something he'd picked up over the summer.

Harry finally asked softly, though if hear him clearly because everyone else had suddenly gone quiet again, "Are you alright, dray?"

"No." I wasn't alright. My father was dead. And though he wasn't a very good father, he still raised me. "Have you collected everything you needed? Snape sent us things already." Yeh I've got everything. I just want to go. I nodded once in affirmation. It was getting rather cold out, anyway. I was shivering already.

"Alright. Let's go." Harry's voice was warm and calm and spread through me like liquid fire. He grabbed ahold of my forearm gently and led me to the Leaky Cauldron so we could floo to Kings Cross St.