Chapter 54

Draco's POV:

I'm in a cupboard under the stairs.

A bloody cupboard.

Flabbergasted by the turn of events, I simply stared at Harry. We were both seated on the dusty hardwood floor, knees bent, backs propped against the opposite wall. There was barely enough room for one person, let alone me and harry. Who was twice as big as me. The dingy area was lit by a single dingy bulb light, which did nothing to appease me. I was in a cupboard, for bloody sake!

An iridescent spider with a body the size of a berry dropped on a web in front of my face. It waved its fangs hungrily at me. Oh Merlin. A spider. Oh god. "Harry!" I squealed. A spider. There's a spider in my face. My breath caused the spider to swing on its web, moving away briefly before coming right at me.

"Avada Kedavra." Harry snatched the spider before it hit me in the face. I felt my eyes widen dramatically. "Harry, you just cast..." I trailed off in shock. Never had I imagined hearing Harry mutter that curse. Never in my entire life!

"I did." Harry held out his hand, the dead spider resting on his palm. "Does that bother you?" I shied away from his hand. Well, I tried. There wasn't much where I could move considering there was a wall behind me.

"Does it..." I stared incredulously at my fiancé. I couldn't fathom what he had just done, seeing as it was unreasonably spooky. "You've gone crazy in the head." I watched as Harry gave a small nod of his head, sagely. "Possibly."

I've learned that when Harry doesn't say much, it's because he's thinking. And when he thinks, there is at least a million things usually flying through his head. He focused his attention on the spider and uttered another spell. "Alacious." The spider came back to life and started crawling up Harry's wrist. I nearly shrieked at it being alive and scooted back against the wall as far as I could. Never in my life had I heard of that spell before.

"No matter what they tell you, every spell has a counter-spell, it just might not be created yet." Harry was still focused on the spider. "Tattooum arachnid. Tattooum animatus." The iridescent black spider morphed into Harry's skin, becoming two-dimesional, and continued to crawl up his arm. Harry wrapped his other hand around his forearm and, when the spider reached if, it turned around and headed back towards his wrist.

"The alacious spell is the counter to Avada Kedavra," Harry continued in a bored factual tone. "I found it in a diary of my mother's, which had been given to me by Hagrid."

Harry had never really told me much about his parents or his past childhood. I just know that's he's had a variety of traumatic experiences from a young age. The youngest being when his parents were murdered. But that's the most interesting spell I've heard of.

"How does it work? Can you point it at any dead person and cast it?" I was curious as to how this counter spell came to be. Especially by the hands of Harry's mother. I stared at Harry, his face was cast downward, staring at the spider tattoo that moved all over his arm. His black hair fell over his eyes and I smiled at the small thought of how shaggy it was.

Soon as I asked a question, Harry leaned forward and lightly grasped my wrist. "It doesn't work like that." The spider, which had crawled down one of Harry's fingers, crossed to my skin. I braced myself for the impact of it, but it never came. Instead, I marvelled at how it crawled across my skin and I couldn't feel it. Despite the fact that I hated spiders, I couldn't get over how fascinating it was.

"It's a life for a life spell that has to be used almost immediately upon death. I gave the spider some of my life to revive it. Since it's a small creature and only lives a very short time anyway, the he spell didn't take much from me. Only a year or two, perhaps. But if you were to try it on another human being..." Harry trailed off and fixed me a stare with piercing dull eyes.