Chapter 75

Devin did not know what to do.  Kandii was screaming, which woke up the baby and made her scream. It was total chaos going on and he was right in the middle of it.

“Baby what should I do?”  He asked as he picked up Promise.

“Take me to the Hospital you moron!  What else?”  She lashed out at him.  The pain was so severe that she was convinced that she was dying.

“What about the babies though? How can I get two car seats in and take you to the hospital at the same time, this is crazy.”  Devin mumbled.

“Oh my God Devin just figure it out.”

He scowled at her.  He wanted to ask her what her damn problem was but that would be pointless.  He laid down the still crying baby and set about gathering up the car seats and diaper bags.  This was nothing like when Sharon went into labor.

He could hear Kandii yelling all the way outside.  “Dammit!”  He cursed as his fingers fumbled with the child restraints. Finally, he had both seats secured.  Running like a mad man he first got Dj and then went to get Promise.

“How are you holding up baby?”

“How does it look?”  Kandii gave him the death glare.

“I know, I know… and I’m sorry baby.  Just give me a minute to hook the babies in.”  He ran out of the room only to return a few minutes later.

“Okay, let’s go.”

He helped her off the bed and damn near had to carry her outside. Once she was situated, he made a beeline for the hospital.  He called his Mother on the way there.  Devin knew he couldn’t handle two little ones and be there for Kandii at the same time.

As soon as they arrived at the hospital, Kandii was taken to labor and delivery via wheelchair.  Devin was happy to see his Mother waiting in the lobby for him.

“Devin what is going on?  Why am I here?”  She wasted no time with her questioning.

“Common mom, you know Kandii is in labor. I explained this to you on the phone.”

She pursed her lips.  She was not a fan of Kandii’s.  Never had been.  “Hmph well hopefully that is your baby. I have my doubts you know.  Just like Dj he’s-“

“Don’t talk about my family.”  He cut her off.  He did not have time to listen to her rant and rave.

“Look mom; please just take care of the babies for me.”

“Devin…”

She said in that Mother tone of voice.  It was a cross between attitude and authority.  Devin ignored the slight warning and carried both car seats to a nearby row of chairs.

“Ill check in soon.”

He didn’t give her a chance to say anything else. He just made a dash for the elevators.  Once on the correct floor he was directed to Kandii’s room. He walked in not knowing what to expect.

“Baby?”

“Yes?”  She smiled at him.

“You’re smiling.”

“Yes.”

Kandii laughed and explained to him that the contractions had eased up some.  She was only four centimeters’ dilated.  It was too soon for an epidural and the Doctor assured her that she was in for a long labor.

“So what now?” Devin asked.

“Well now it’s a waiting game.  How’s Promise and Dj?”

“They are ok.  I should probably go check on them though.  Two babies can overwhelm a person.”  He said seriously.  Kids were allot of work and to think he was about to have another scared the shit out of him.

“Kandii you know how I feel about Nanny’s but I’m thinking that I better start looking for one. I know damn well that we can’t handle all of these kids at once.”

“Says who Devin?”

“I think we will be just fine.”

“You say that now…”

“Ugh, look if you’re having second thoughts then just tell me now.

 I don’t have time for this shit Devin okay!”  She snapped.

“Who said anything about second thoughts? 

All I’m saying is that we probably- No, I know we will need help baby.”

“Look well talk about this later.  I just want to concentrate on you right now.”  He leaned over and kissed her forehead.

“Devin… ow… I think the contractions are starting up again.”  Kandii whined.

Devin went to the Nurse’s station and told them what was happening.  No one seemed too concerned.  They knew that the baby would be playing cat and mouse.  And that’s exactly what he did for the next 11 hours, until he was ready to make his grand entrance.

They welcomed Bentley Eric Williams into the world just before 1am.

 Copyright©2013-2014

-Eve-

I know I havent updated in forever.  I had a bit of a block but I'm back now!  Sry its so short, my damn keyboard is acting up.