Chapter 38

"Devin, it’s me Sharon can I come in?"

Devin was shocked to see Sharon standing on his doorstep at 9am on a Sunday morning.

"Uh. Sure come on in,"

He said as he opened the door so she could pass by him.

They had been seeing each other casually for the past few months.  Devin did not want to make a real commitment to her.  

Once around the marriage go round was enough for him.  Lately she kept dropping hints about marriage and her moving in with him.  

Hell she'd even asked for a key, which he promptly denied.  He walked into the kitchen and started to put on a pot of coffee.

"Coffee will be ready in five."  

He rubbed the corners of his eyes and glanced at the pot.  It was dripping slower than slow.

"What’s up Sharon? You haven't said anything since you came in."

She took a seat at the breakfast island.  "I think you should have your coffee first."  

Devin shrugged and stole a cup from the not quite full pot.  He took a seat on the stool next to her.  He inhaled the rich aroma before he sipped, eyes closed.  "Ahhh."

"I'm pregnant."

Devin started to choke and the coffee mug fell out of his hand.  He watched wide-eyed as it rolled and dripped off the island and onto the floor.

"Say something."

The first thing that popped in his mind was "Is it mine."

 Of course, he couldn't say that, could he?

"Uh... How do you know that?" He asked.

"I went to the Doctors on Friday.  I'm eight weeks.”

She turned to him and smiled. "Isn't this great honey, we can be a family now."

"Uh..."

He knew that he sounded like a cave man but he had no idea what to say or do.

"A family," he asked as his eyes opened even wider.

"Yes a family."

"I'm certain that you want to get married right?  I refuse to have a bastard baby Devin, I do have more class that that.”  Agitation peppered her voice and her leg started to shake up and down.

"Shit."

"I... ah. Don’t know what to say Sharon, honestly."

"I do know that I don't want to get married.

 I'm sorry but that wont happen."

"What are you saying to me Devin?"

"I think I've said it.  I don't want to get married, hell I don't even want a girlfriend.

 You knew this!  How did this happen anyway?  We used protection."

Once upon a time, he did want to be a Father but now things have changed.  He was much more interested in expanding his business, then he was in taking a kid to soccer or ballet.  

Devin felt trapped.  How could he ask her to, not have the baby in a kind way?

Sharon started to cry.  "Devin I love you," she sobbed.  

“I really and truly thought you would be happy about this.”  She tried to pull him into a hug but he shrugged her away.

"So that's how it’s going to be." She said in an icy tone.

"You just wanted to fuck me is that it?"

"Huh Devin, fuck me and leave me like I was some common whore," she screamed.

“I won’t let you off the hook so easy!  This baby will be born and you will be a Father to him or her.  Do you hear me goddammit?"

"I think you need to leave Sharon."

"Leave?"

"Yes, as in get the hell out of my house."

"You did this didn't you?  Just like I'm sure you knew who I was!

You think that by having a baby I'd marry you?  That suddenly I would love you!

Woman you are crazy," he said as started to laugh uncontrollably.

"Crack!"

Sharon slapped him as hard as she could.  He wanted to laugh at her, shed give his ass something to laugh about.

"Did you really just hit me?"

She nodded smugly.  "Yes it seems like I did asshole."

"Get...the..fuck..out of my house now!"  His deep voice vibrated throughout the kitchen.  He walked over to her and grabbed her arm, practically dragging her to the front door.

"Devin wait I'm sorry," she said as she tried to hold onto the doorframe.

"let’s talk about this baby."

"Hell naw, you crazy bitch."  He opened the door and shoved her out.  

After he made sure the door was locked, he walked back to the kitchen, where he made himself a fresh cup of coffee.

Sharon kicked and pounded on the door.

"You stupid fucking nigga!"

"Bring your black ass out here right now Devin!"

He cringed knowing that his neighbors were more than likely getting pissed off.  He wanted to go out there and choke her; instead, he called the police and pretended to be a concerned neighbor.

"Now what," he said to the empty space.

Copyright © 2013

-Eve-