Chapter 74

Kandii had opted to cremate Pauline.  Without any family or friends to attend her funeral, Kandii felt like it was the appropriate thing to do.  She did not want her daughter to have to visit a grave to see her.  That is why Kandii also decided on a beautiful urn.  She went out of her way to choose something that represented Pauline’s personality.  Something that did not scream “Death”.

“Kandii, I think the baby is up.”  She heard Devin call out.

“Coming.”

Devin had been staying with her for the past week.  It almost felt like they were in a relationship again.  She wanted that, the relationship but she didn’t want to pressure him.

Kandii walked into her bedroom, she had set up a beautiful white bassinet next to her bed.  Devin was hovering over it.

“Hey, are you just going to stare at her?”

Devin laughed.  “I was about to pick her up.  Just admiring her good looks is all.”

“Ah well Promise is a beautiful baby,” she said as she picked her up.

“Yes she is,” he agreed.

Kandii sat down on the bed and rocked the baby.

“What if she hates her name?”  She wondered out loud.

“She won’t.”

…”But what if she does?” 

“Trust me Kandii, her name suits her.”

“Are you sure Devin?”

“Yes babe, I am.”

Kandii had chosen the name Promise because she promised Pauline that she would care for her baby.  “Promise Elena Williams.”

“Do you think Pauline is upset that I gave the baby my last name and not hers?”

“I’m sure she’s not Kandii.  You did give the baby her Mother’s name, as her middle name after all.”

Devin was slightly worried about Kandii.  She talked about Pauline nonstop and it was usually in the present tense.  He didn’t want to correct her.  A friend of his had told him that shes grieving and to just let her be.  Pauline had only been gone for two weeks, so he figured he would give her time to adjust.

“Ahhh Dev!  Look how she’s sucking her little fist.  I bet she’s hungry.  Will you go and heat up a bottle for me?”  She asked.

“Sure thing.”

While the bottle heated up, Devin thought about all the things he wanted to say to Kandii.  He couldn’t seem to find the right time, especially with everything that had been going on.  He plucked the bottle out of the warmer and tested the temperature.  It was just right.

“Here you go.”  Devin said as he held out the bottle to her.

“Thanks.”

He watched as Promise latched onto the nipple.  The little cutie had no issues when it came to eating.

“So… I was thinking.”

“Thinking about what?  Kandii asked.”

“Us mostly.”

She looked at him. 

She wanted to cry out “I Love you” but remained calm and settled on a simple, “Oh?”

“Yeah… You have a baby, a baby on the way and I have a baby.”

Kandii nodded.  Where was he going with this she wondered?  Doubts started to plague her mind.