Chapter 55

Devin had settled into his new life.  He never thought that he had wanted children but now that DJ was here, he enthralled him.  Sharon had had an easy birth.  

Little man just literally fell out.  Devin was amazed at how easy it was for her.  Then again, Sharon had the ability to make anything look easy.  Last month she had come to him while he was in his office.

"Baby, I think it’s time."

She was so calm and cool about it that he actually didn't hear her.  She had to tap his shoulder to get his attention.

"Devin, the baby is coming."

He remembered how frantic he was!  How he jumped up out of the chair and ran out of the room.  Leaving her standing in his office alone.  He had a one-track mind.

Overnight bag.

Pull the car around front.

Put the car seat in the car.

Hell Devin was half way to the hospital before he even realized that his Wife was not in the car!  Embarrassed he'd popped a U’Y and high tailed his ass back home.  When he got there, Sharon was sitting on the couch with a blanket.  She kept peeking under it.

"Devin, I feel his head."

She smiled at him and told him how she had called 911 the minute he left the house.  Not even a minute later he heard the sirens of the ambulance.  He let them in and stood shell-shocked.

The EMT simply held out his hands and the baby, plopped into them.  What the hell?  Sharon leaned back and smiled again.  Devin watched in awe as the EMT cut the umbilical cord and wrapped the baby in a foil blanket.  He then passed the baby to Sharon.

Devin stood there and scratched his head.  That was it?  No screaming, yelling or death threats?  He had felt disappointed.  Surely, this was nothing like the live births that he had watched on YouTube.

He didn't even get to see his son right away.  Sharon was placed onto a stretcher and the baby was placed in her arms.  The ride to the hospital was short and lonely.  He drove himself.  They told him that there wasn't enough room for him, they had gathered a team of four.  Usually births were more strenuous.

Once at the hospital he sat in the lobby and waited.  Soon he'd be allowed to go to her room.  When he did, every disappointment left.  There he was!  There was his baby and his beautiful wife.  Sharon held the small bundle out to him and he walked over to her on shaky legs.

"Careful of his head,” she whispered.

"I know,” he whispered back.

He could not describe that feeling, that feeling when his son was finally in his arms.  He had allot of hair, god he had allot of hair!  Silken soft and jet-black.  His little face was scrunched up and resembled a sharpei puppy.  Whom did he look like?  Devin couldn't tell.  The baby boasted a soft brown skin tone.

He kissed his forehead and his son fussed.  Devin beamed with pride.  In the next instant, he had his phone out and took tons of pictures of him.

Sharon didn't even have to stay overnight.  Within a few hours, they were at home and settling in as if that had done this a thousand times.  Now it was a month later and he was still floating on that newborn high.  Sharon went back to work last week.  She had hired a Nanny.  Devin wasn't sure how he felt about that.

Every time he went to see his son, Lana the Nanny managed to stop him.  He didn't know how he felt about her.  She was an elderly Jamaican woman.  Her accent was thick that he barely understood her.  He had tip toed into Dj's nursery.  He just wanted to see him, to be close to him.  He was gripping the side of the crib, ready to take him out when out of nowhere Lana appeared.