Chapter 64

Kandii was trying to paint her toenails when her phone rang.  She grunted and took her feet off the coffee table.  This being pregnant and having a big belly was for the birds.  She was at the stage in her pregnancy where she did not like anything or anyone.  Seven months in and she was eager for it to be over.

She blew out a hasty "Hello."

"Kandii?"

"Yes?"

"It's me.  Devin."

"Devin...?”

Wow. Devin was calling her.  She did not even think that he had remembered her number.  Suddenly she felt self-conscious.  She felt like he could see her.

"Hi..."

"Hey."

"Look Kandii I just need someone to talk to.  I have allot of shit going on right now and I feel like I'm at my breaking point.  You were always a good listener so I.  I just thought that maybe we could talk."

"Really?"

She could not bite back the sarcasm that laced her voice.  Now he wanted to talk.  After everything that he did to her... now he finally had the time to chat.  She sighed into the phone loudly.

Devin regretted calling her.  She did not sound too happy to hear from him and why would she he thought.  Visions of the last time he saw her ran through his head.  He had told her that he was married and that they needed to end all contact.  He was a dick to her.

"I'm sorry.  I probably should not have called you.  You know what I'll let you go and... You just take care ok."

"Wait...

You don't have to hang up.  I'm just shocked that you called but I'll talk to you."

Suddenly Devin needed to see her.  He wanted to get out of the house anyway.  

"Can I come over Kandii...?"

"Can you what!  Devin you got me fucked up if you think your gonna bring your black ass over here and try to sleep with me or some shit.  What’s wrong Devin?  Your Trini princess ain't doing her job?"

"Kandii...I don't want to come over for sex.  Truth be told…I need to get out of the house.  I would be bringing my son too... if that's ok."

Kandii started to choke.  "You want to bring your baby?  To my house!  

Oh hell no Devin!  Do you really think I want to be slapped in the face with your life?"

She started to cry.

"Please. Kandii... it’s important."

"I don't know Devin." She sobbed.

"I just really need someone to talk to."

Why was he pressing so hard to see her?  She didn't get it.  She agreed to let him come over and bring his child.  She felt so weak minded.  Who lets their Ex Husband come visit and bring along a baby.

"Baby!"

"Oh fuck!"

Kandii screamed.  She had forgotten. How could she forget?  Devin was not supposed to know about her pregnancy and he damn sure was not supposed to know that it was his.  What was she going to do?  

She quickly checked her call log and dialed back the number that he had called from.

"Dammit!"

She took a deep breath.  So this is how her life was playing out.  She didn't know what she was thinking.  Maybe if she would have told him as soon as she found out that she was pregnant, she would of saved herself some stress.  Did she really think that she could go nine long months alone?