Chapter 50

It had been over a week since Devin had come over to Kandii;s house and dropped that awful bomb on her.  She was lonely and depressed.  She was due back at work Monday.  It was now Thursday and she had opted to take off more time.  Unpaid time.  She just couldn't function.  The love of her life was married to another woman.  

A bitch she hated.

Nita had called her unexpectedly and was coming over in a little bit.  She had said she wanted to discuss their friendship.  Whatever the fuck, that meant.  Kandii had make a snack platter for them, simple things like assorted cheeses and crackers.  She still wasn't feeling so good.

She had just sat down the platter when the doorbell rang.  Having no energy she yelled down,"It's open!”  A few moments later Nita walked into her living room.  She looked good.

Her hair was pulled up and twisted into an elaborate style and she had on a purple knee length dress, that had splatters of silver streaking though the fabric.  Her silver stiletto pumps had matching purple jewels going up the back of the heel.

"Hey Nita."

"Hello Kandii."  She said in a dry tone.

"I made us something to snack on.  You want to sit down?"  Kandii watched as Nita slowly made her way to the sofa and sat down carefully.

"You are dressed up, looking good girl!  You have a hot date or something tonight?"

"No but I do have a party to go to later on.  I wanted to ask you if you wanted to come.  It’s just a little get together, that's why I'm all dressed up."  Nita looked at Kandii.  

Damn she did look miserable.  Her bathrobe looked as if it could use a washing.  Her long hair was floating around her face in rivulets of frizz.  If the bags under her eyes told Nita anything, then they told her that Kandii felt as bad as she looked,

Good, she thought.

"So, you had wanted to talk about our friendship Nita?"  Kandii jumped right in.  She was lonely and she needed someone.  Anyone to talk to her.  Nita had been acting so different to her lately.  The more she thought about it, everyone was treating her different.  Even her cousin TT hadn't returned any of her calls.

The only human contact she had was her coworkers and even they had stopped calling.  What was with everyone?  It’s not like she had changed.  She was the same Kandii.  How was it that no one had time for her anymore?

"Yeah girl.  I do want to talk to about some things," Nita said as she picked thought the choices of cheese.  

“You been acting so stank Kandii.  I don't even think that you realize it.”

"Me?"

Kandii was taken aback.  Her acting stank?

 Where the fuck was this shit coming from?

"Uh how exactly am I acting stank?  I'm the same person I've always been Nita."  She couldn't help but feel offended.  Her tone had raised.  She was on the defense.

"Can I talk?  Or are you just gonna catch an attitude and act STANK!"  Nita emphasized the word stank.  

She knew that Kandii was a hot head and she knew that she was getting to her already.  Kandii never was a good listener, she thought.  

"Go ahead."

Kandii curled her feet up under her, and brought one of the throw cushion to her front.  Cuddling it.  She was feeling so emotional right now.  Not like her normal self.  

She wasn't much of a crier.  More of a shit talker.  She was the kind of woman that when angry, destroyed things.  Yet, here she sat with her eyes already glistening.