Chapter 19

It had been well over a month since Kandii had seen Devin.  She sat at her kitchen table trying to figure out how she was going to pay all of her bills.

The rent was her biggest concern.  Getting more frustrated she got up and headed to the fridge.  

Her new best friend.

Smiling as she took out a chocolate pudding cup, she didn't even bother with a spoon.  She just tilted back her head and let the entire creamy pudding slide down her throat. She was about to get another one when her cell started to ring.

"Hello?"

Hi, may I speak with Kandii Williams?  A soft voice asked.

“This is she.”

 Great Ms. Williams I am calling on behalf of...

 Kandii didn't let her finish.

 “It’s Mrs.Williams you bitch!

"When you learn to address me correctly...  Maybe I'll learn to pay you!.”

“Stop calling me dammit.”

Satisfied with her outburst she ended the call.

"I'm" sick of these assholes calling me.  I don't have any damn money,” she vented.

Remembering the second pudding cup, she zeroed in on the fridge once again. Just when her chunky fingers grasped it, her cell went off again.

“Fuck!” she muttered.

"HELLO!"  She yelled out the greeting.

"Damn girl, why you answering the phone all rough?” 

“I'm sorry,” Kandii mumbled, as she told Nita to hold on.

She quickly destroyed the pudding cup.  Flicking her tongue up and around the rim to get all of the sweet residue.  

“-Anyway, what’s up?”

"That's what I'm calling to ask you.

You barely been callin me.  Making me feel like I have to stalk you.

I want to go out.  I’ve been in this house with these kids for too damn long.”  Nita complained.

"Uh huh well what do you want to do?"

“No clue.  We could go to the mall or something.”

"Bitch I don't feel like going to the damn mall.

Walking around do not even sound fun.”  Kandii huffed.

“So, what!

I bet all you have been doing is eating anyway.  Get your fat ass ready I will be there in ten minutes.”

Kandii stared at the phone.  The screen turned black.  She hated when Nita did this.

She ran to the bathroom and took a three-minute shower. Then she ran to her dresser and pulled out a pair of grey Nike sweat pants and a white baggy t-shirt.

Nothing fit her anymore.  However, she was convinced that it was all because of her new detergent.  The cold water Tide had to of been shrinking her shit.

Kandii heard the annoying honking of Nita's car.  She flipped her long hair into messy bun and made her way outside.

"Eww Bitch you look like shit!"  Nita said as soon as she opened the car door.

 Kandii gave her the screw face.

"Why are you wearing that?  I thought you were going to get cute.”  Nita sucked her teeth.  She did not want to be seen with Kandii looking like a troll.