Cold Wind and Warm Kisses

tw: very subtle reference to suicide

     Evan grabbed onto Connor's sleeve before he could leave, earning the coldest of glances from the taller boy causing him to nearly whimper a little.

    "You can't stop me from cutting class, Hansen. It's senior year, it doesn't matter." He growled, but Evan stood still to the side of the hallway holding Connor's arm tighter. 

    The two were friends, or so Evan liked to think. They had some sort of love, a friendly love, that appeared in the strangest ways. Evan would help Connor heal, and Connor would be there for Evan to vent out to whenever he needed to. Connor was safe, Connor was easy to be around. Not complicated or mean, as much as he seemed it, he was just as lonely as Evan.

    "Why do you care anyways? What if I die? None of this matters! Why can't you see that." Connor begged, just wanting a smoke he had been begging himself for the whole day. Evan shook his head, and Connor could tell he was holding back all types of tears just to help him.

   "You promised... You promised to keep alive, Connor." Evan looked to him desperately, and Connor quickly regretted the near joke he had thrown in. Evan worried a lot about Connor, and the both of them had a little promise that Connor would keep the talk about death to a minimum, but sometimes he slipped up and it hurt Evan more than he thought it had. Connor had already nabbed his arm away from Evan and started storming out, his hands stuffed into his pockets as he opened the door and felt the cold autumn wind against him.

    "You're going to graduate Connor. I-If it's the last thing I do, it's helping y-you pass senior year." Evan murmured the last few bits, his words getting lost in the wind.

    But nevertheless Connor, who was well on the green in front of the school now, turned around to see Evan clutching the bottom of his short sleeved shirt as tears fell down his skin. His cold glance melted away, pushing his hair back as he rushed back over to the others side.

   "Hey, Ev... No. If I'm not dying, you aren't either." He whispered, as if to keep quiet and shield their conversation from the wind.

   Evan just choked a little on his tears, shaking his head as he shivered. Connor whisked him off to a place just off of campus, a little path that led into a small plaza covered with trees to either side of them. He stopped as soon as they were out of sight, being quick to unzip his hoodie and throw it into Evan's hands.

   "Put this on, okay? I like the cold..."

    "W-We're skipping."

    "We are. Because neither of us are okay and we need a break so... So it's okay." Connor reassured, his hands in his pockets again as Evan and him walked quietly down the path. Evan put the sweatshirt on reluctantly, but cozied himself into it rather quickly. It smelled of everything that Connor was, pine, some weed, and safe. Connor was safe.

   "I'm sorry for freaking out on you." Connor murmured, his eyes squeezing shut as he recalled the events and shivered just a little. Evan just shook his head again, looking to Connor with his face flushed from the cold.

   "It's okay... W-We all have our moments. I shouldn't have tried to keep you." He replied quietly, noticing Connor's body walking closer to him and the blush on his cheeks only becoming stronger.

    "You were doing the right thing. Just... Don't worry about me. I'll graduate. I'll graduate with you." Connor smiled, a real smile, and Evan couldn't help but feel all giddy inside as they continued along the path. 

    Connor couldn't deny he hadn't thought of him and Evan holding hands down this path, as they took it after school so often. He would never act on the thoughts, knowing it could mess up everything they had together if he did. But a part of him knew keeping it from the other was almost just as bad, but he bit his lip as he tried to dismiss the thoughts all together. He snuck a glance at Evan, seeing the boy playing around with a leaf in his hands as his sweatshirt hung over his smaller body. 

   "Where d-do you think you'll go to college?" Evan had taken great interest in the leaf that had blown past Connor's hair, now holding it in his hands and twiddling around with it as they walked. 

   "I'm actually taking a gap year to get myself figured out..." Connor quieted his voice, thinking now a better time than any to tell Evan.

   "I'm proud of you." Evan perked up a little, now walking so close to Connor that their shoulders brushed against each other. He had worked hard on applications, trying to get some sort of writing scholarship but at last minute tearing his papers. Heidi had managed to save one, and had sent it to a college who rejected it for being too late. Evan wasn't ashamed, he would go to community college and he would do his best to get through it. And he would still get to see Connor. 

    Evan never noticed it but his mind always drifted to Connor when there was nothing else to think about. Everything was related to Connor. Connor was his everything. He blushed a little at the thought, remembering quickly all of their fond embraces and hugs, Connor gave the best hugs. There was one time Connor had kissed his cheek after Evan helped him with his essay, and Evan kept the memory close to his heart. He wasn't sure what to make of it, but he knew whatever it was he liked it. He ignored the feeling, not wanting to freak Connor out anymore than he already did.

    "We'll still hang out, right?" Connor murmured this time, feeling almost small as they approached the end of the trail back into the opening and slowing down his pace. 

    "I'm just going down town, Con... We'll see each other every day." He whispered with a smile, watching Connor's hand come out of his pocket and hang right at his side. Evan couldn't control his actions, feeling their fingers brush against each other and sort of all of a sudden linking together.

    Not holding hands, just their fingers tangling and keeping one another warm. But it was enough to cause both of them to blush profoundly and refuse to look at each other until they couldn't stand it.

   "Connor I-" Evan started as his fingers moved to quickly pull away, but Connor moved so they were now palm in palm and facing each other.

   "S-Stop me if you want but..." Connor tilted his head, squeezing Evan's hands as he shakily brought his lips closer to Evan's. Evan's eyes widened, but closing them quickly as he connected their lips together.

    Connor nearly looked shocked as Evan had his lips against his own, and then his warm hands on his cold cheeks. He melted into the gesture, putting an arm around Evan's waist and moving their bodies close together. 

    The kiss lasted only seconds, though it felt like much longer as a strong gust of howling wind interrupted them. They stayed quiet, just staring at each other with  little gasps for air coming through the silence.

    "I really... Really love you, Evan Hansen." Connor whispered, their foreheads now leaning against each other adoringly as they rocked back and fourth on their heels.

    "I really really love you too, Connor." He let out a light laugh, kissing him once more.

    "You wanna go get some tea?" Connor smiled stupidly, motioning to the coffee shop just a few paces away from them now.

   "Absolutely." He gripped Connor's hand, and that was it.

    The boys loved each other, and that was all they needed to know for now.

//

a.n: short n sweet fluff ??? i needed to bC ITS BEEN AWHILE SINCE I UPDATED IM SORRY !!! also what the hECK guys 115k????? im so honored always for all of the attention this gets <333 also happy spooky season !!!!!!! requests are open again :)))