Neighbors

TRIGGER WARNING: homophobia, self harm and suicide. au in which connor moves across from evan as a child

    Age 8

     "Hi! I'm Evan Hansen. I live in that blue house right there!" A small boy with scruffy blonde hair pointed to his house while holding out a hand to a boy a little taller than him.

     "I'm Connor Murphy. We just moved across the street from you! We can hang out like- everyday!" Connor had a huge grin with a missing tooth, shaking Evan's hand wildly. The boys smiled stupidly at each other, Connor running after Evan into his big back yard filled with trees. There was a giant treehouse in one of the oak's in his yard, and Connor's mouth dropped.

     "Is that a treehouse?!"

     "Yup! I helped my dad build it." Evan stood proudly, an awkward frown on his face as he remembered his father.

     "You're like, the coolest person I've ever met! We have to be best friends!" 

     "Wanna go hang out in it?"

     "Yes!" And with that the boy's scurried up the rickety ladder and talked for hours about nothing. Evan spent months of his eight year old life trying to braid Connor's hair, but making a mess every time and leaving the pair in a fit of laughter. 

       Connor would come home to the dinner table and go on and on about all of his adventures with Evan, and Zoe always sat in awe of her older brother.

     "I wanna marry Evan one day!" The boy blurted out at the table one day. He wasn't aware of what it could really mean, he just knew he loved Evan and that was enough to marry him. Larry, his father, slammed his fists down on the table and looked harshly to Cynthia.

     "I told you, letting him grow out his hair turned him into a pansy!"

     "He doesn't even know what it means, Larry! They're just kids!" Shaking his head, Larry got up and left. Connor looked confused, his mother holding her head in her hands hopeless while he managed to sneak away from the house. He ran across the street to Evan's house, knocking on the door. 

     "Well, hello Connor! Would you like me to get Ev-" His mother, Heidi, couldn't even finish her sentence as Evan rushed out the door. He smiled at Connor, grabbing his hand as the boys ran to the treehouse together.

     "I said I wanted to marry you and my dad got all mad at me..."

     "That makes no sense! If two people love each other, they should be allowed to love each other! We... We love each other, right?"

      "Of course! It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks." Connor said quite matter-of-factly, smiling brightly to Evan and watching the boy blush a little back at him. They sat talking about trees for the rest of the night, eventually falling asleep on top of one another.

     Age 14

     Connor seemed more distant. The boys didn't see as much of each other as they did in their innocent child hood years, but they still found time to hang out. Connor was starting to become depressed, and Evan had always struggled with anxiety. The boys sat in silence together a lot, but if one spoke they would talk for a long time to each other on deep topics. Neither had managed to get into a relationship for all of their middle school years, they were always invested in other things.

     "Evan?"

      "Yeah?"

     "I think... I know I'm gay. I'm gay. I like guys." Connor said with a gulp, avoiding Evan's look.