Wings

(very important announcement at the end of the one shot!!!) Maximum Ride au

     For as long as Evan could remember, he had wings. He didn't know what a family might be, he had never had one. He was raised in a laboratory amongst many other hybrids and animals, but he and one other being the only human animal, specifically avian, hybrids. Everyday was another experiment for him, between mental tests and physical torture. The scientists refused to believe there was even a little human in him, therefor treating him as a lab rat. Probably even worse. 

     Today was just another day as he was brought out in chains, grumbling as the feeble white clothing he was given brushed against bruises. As soon as he made the noise, a shock was administered through a small collar he had on, causing him to nearly fall to his knees. He was shoved into an experimenting room, the walls an off shade of grey and the ground made of cold cement. 

     "Number 338 will try to complete the course." A nearly robotic voice boomed over the speakers and as he heard his number, a small shock told him to go. He had run this course yesterday. It consisted of running at full speed away from hounds, and as they nipped on his ankles he had to take off flying. The scientists scribbled their pencils on the papers as his wings unfolded, adorned in white and brown feathers. He landed and ran the rest of the way, crashing into the finish point and hearing the cage door slam behind him. There was a small bowl of water on the floor, and Evan took it in his hands and drank graciously. The shackles on his wrists clipped again as the guards came by, also locking his wings. Instead of going back to his cage, he was taken to an unfamiliar room. He looked confused to the people holding them, but only got another shock in response.

     "It's going to be meeting another of it's kind... The only other of it's kind."

     "Exciting, isn't it?"

      "The other seems a little... Violent. They nearly killed it when they told it to run a course and it refused." Evan picked up on conversation, biting his lip nervously. He had always heard rumors from the people who fed him of, they always talked about another. As he was thrown into another room and locked in a cage, restrained back by chains as he caught sight of the other for the first time. A boy, around his age, looking furious to him as his entire body was locked up. 

     "Number 338 has seen Number 462." The voice said again, and Evan knew pens were scribbling. Both stayed quiet for a moment, before Evan felt the chains on him drop. The other's unlocked as well, and their cage doors opened. Evan took a nervous step out, quickly falling to his knees and gasping a little. He couldn't quite comprehend what was happening.

     "Number 338."

     "Number 462..." Evan murmured as the stranger approached him, sitting down next to him.

     "I prefer the name Connor."

     "I-I've always liked Evan." 

     "They're writing down everything they say." Connor whispered, moving closer to Evan. Evan let out a deep breath of air, unveiling his wings to the other. Connor smiled, getting up so he had the space to spread his own. They were mostly black, but the tops and tips were a shade of brown that was a little darker than his hair. It was peaceful in the air before a shock was given to both of them, causing their wings to twitch.

     "Number 338, please attack Number 462." Evan looked horrified, Connor just shrugging. 

     "Go for it, Ev." He used the nickname casually, awaiting any pain.

     "N-No I can't! I just met you and... You didn't do anything... And-" He was cut off as a shock trembled down his spine, causing him to curl up on the floor. 

     "Just do it, okay?" Connor yelled, moving towards Evan to tempt him.

     "I won't!" Evan's voice was small, but quite powerful. It wasn't until seconds after that Evan was welcomed by shocks, screaming out in pain. Connor looked furious and looked up to the top of the white room.

     "Can you fucking stop, Larry?" He yelled, getting a shock to knock him to the ground and hearing the guards come in once more. They took Connor roughly, throwing him against the wall and chaining him again. They took him out of the room, hearing Connor scream at them in pain and anger. Evan's chaining was soon followed as he was brought back to his small cage, just big enough for his body. Everything else in the room was some sort of crazy animal and it often made Evan stay up all night. Today was different, Connor was brought in adorned in huge chains and throw into a cage smaller than Evan's, which was near impossible as Connor was significantly taller than Evan. The large metal door locked after a small dog bowl of some sort of pellets and water was left for them. The lights were turned off, signaling the day was over.

     "W-Who's Larry?" Evan said quietly, taking a bite of the food, wincing at how horrid it tasted.

     "Larry Murphy. Apparently my father, who gave me up to science. He runs this hell. I don't know how you got here... But I'm so sorry." Connor winced as the bars of the cage pushed into every part of his body, earning an empathetic look from Evan.

     "O-Oh my god... I-I was told m-my Mom was killed... B-But I was somehow saved by the lab a-and they decided to t-turn me into this." He tried not to cry, but felt himself tear up as he brought up his family for the first time in ages.

     "When we get out of here, I'm gonna kill him." 

     "W-When we get out of here?"

      "I try to think one day, I'll get out of here. And now I can't just leave you behind. I know it's stupid... It's not going to happen but... Maybe." He smiled weakly as he lapped up some water, curling up tighter so he shrank smaller.

     "I wish I could think like that."

     "I'll help you. If I can... I have a feeling we're going to be seeing a lot more of each other." Evan nodded, finishing his own water as he looked to Connor before trying to drift off. 

     "I-I'll help you too, I'll try." Evan whispered, and Connor blushed a little bit as he tried to sleep a little. The worst part of going to sleep was knowing tomorrow was going to be worse than today.

//

a.n: HEY SO BIG(?) ANNOUNCEMENTS

one- thIS IS A PREVIEW !!! of a full fic I will be working on !!! it's gonna be published soon!!!

two- i became obssesed with falsettos- and I have a marvin x whizzer one shot book so if ur into that pls pls pls check it out!!!  

thank u so much for 50k idk if i said that last update but omfg thats a lot of wheat thins.