That Cute Boy on the Guitar

trigger warning: pills and suicide mention. 

    Evan found peace in his music. He didn't like talking, nor did he like singing all that much. At least in front of crowds anyways. He didn't know joining a band with his friend Alana and a few of her other friends would cause him to get a small following. They know played for small crowds, in bars, wherever they could find a place that welcomed their sort of indie music.

    It was just another night in some basement of a bar, with quite a large crowd. The place was hot and stuffed, and Evan held his pill shakily in his hands before taking it quickly as he went on stage. People went crazy for Alana and her backup singers, but Evan himself earned a small applause. In seconds, his fingers were strumming and plucking the strings and he had played the whole concert.

   Connor was always into small bands, and he had gone out one night with the intention of just kicking around when he saw a cheap piece of paper with a messy print job reading about a small concert of a few little bands in a basement downtown. He had made sure to get a space to stand far away from people so his claustrophobia wouldn't restrict him from hearing the music. The band that intrigued him the most was called "Requiem" and while the singer amazed him, but the guitarist caught his eye. He was so quiet and focused on his instrument, and his vibe didn't match anyone else in the room. The show closed with a huge applause, Connor even whistling a little. He stayed after, the basement being rather public and mentally hoping to see the cute boy on the guitar come out.

    To his luck, Evan had packed up rather quickly and changed before heading out. He bumped into a taller figure, almost dropping his instrument as he looked to see a guy no older than himself with long hair beaming down to him. Evan's face was red hot, trying to gather himself quickly.

   "Shit, I'm sorry... I'm Connor. C-Can I just say you were amazing-"

   "N-No don't be s-sorry, it was my f-fault." Evan's stutter caught up to him quickly, starting to fumble with the little fraying end of his guitar cases strap. He shook his head, looking to Connor with a weak smile.

   "Your mind was elsewhere and I blocked your path... It's my fault. But I wanted... I wanted to say your band was incredible. Requiem?" 

   "That's us. A-Alana really runs the show but-"

   "She's great but you, your guitar sounds amazing. You're really talented..." He lulled on for a name, Evan looking confused but quickly perking up embarrassed. 

    "E-Evan, Evan Hansen."

   "Connor Murphy." He smiled, shaking Evan's hand and giving it a small extra squeeze. Evan smiled genuinely this time, a blush crossing both of their cheeks.

   "D-Do you m-maybe wanna hang out some time?" 

   "I'd love to... I mean, yes. That'd be great. D-Do you want my number?" As soon as Evan nodded quite quickly, he pulled out his phone and Evan held his out for Connor to put the number in. They shared another quick glance, trading phones back once again.

   "Tomorrow. W-We have a gig at this coffee shop but then we could grab something to eat?"

   "Sounds good... My classes are in the morning so that should work out nicely." Connor went to college, not Evan's clearly since he would have recognized him, but at least it was school. He struggled a lot, but with finally proper help and mental care, he was able to survive a suicide attempt he had made in senior year of high school. He had no idea Evan was struggling with anxiety with underlying depression, and if they ever figured their struggles out between each other it would only bring them closer.