Chapter 53 - October

John’s POV

~

“Ok.” I sigh “You’re both in handcuffs to you can’t fight. Just talk it out, and try not to insult each-others’ mothers.”

Jack and Ianto are both handcuffed to metal chairs in the meeting room of the Hub. I figured the only way to get them to talk is to force them to talk.

They both blurt out their worries at the same time for a second, before realizing that they are both talking.

“You go first.” Jack mumbles. The shutters are down behind his eyes, so I think I have fallen at the first hurdle.

“I...” Ianto falters, looking at me for guidance.

“I’m not listening.” I say, putting ear buds in to blast my brain out with loud music. It must be very loud, I see him flinch as I turn it on. What they don’t know is that I can lip-read.

“I love you.” Ianto says quietly, his attention back on Jack. Then he looks at the floor, admiring a coffee stain on the carpet.

“Ianto, that’s not helpful.” Jack spits, making his fiancée flinch. Tears well up in Ianto’s eyes, but he bites his lip to stop them from spilling.

“I’m sorry.” He whispers, “I just want to protect you. That’s all I’ve ever wanted.”

I notice that Jack’s not wearing his ring. Shit, this is more complex than I could ever have imagined.

“You can protect me. Your love protects me, Jack. Can’t you see that?” Ianto says, his voice stronger than I expected.

“I can’t protect you now, like I couldn’t before.” Jack hisses. No no no no no no no no!

I catch Jack’s eye and frown. Not now.

I pull one ear bud out.

“Just kiss and make up.” I say in a slightly suggestive tone.

Ianto’s eyes are on Jack’s lips. They’re cloudy with desire. Jack sees this too and shuffles his chair forward. He leans in and kisses Ianto’s lips. They both melt into the kiss, and I see both their frowns lift. They eventually break away, breathless.

“I love you too, my little spoon.” Jack whispers, somehow making his ring re-appear from no-where. Aah, tiny cloaking device. Clever, even by his standards.

“I’m the big spoon.” Ianto laughs.

Phew, crisis averted.

“Now, you two! You haven’t bought your wedding suits yet, so I suggest you do that now."