Chapter 39 - May

A/N: Just a quick note to say that I just realized I had uploaded two chapters the wrong way round, so I apologise & it's fixed now.

Also, thank you to Imy for suggesting the idea for this chapter. :)

Jack's POV

~

I'll tell him now. He should get back any minute. 

Ianto's head pops round the door of my office. He opens his mouth to say something-

And a bloodcurdling scream silences him. 

We shoot outside and down into the medical bay of the Hub.

Martha was taking a routine inventory of all our medical equipment now that Owen's gone. And that's exactly what she found.

His cryo tube is lying in broken pieces on the floor, the block of ice he was encased in already starting to melt.

Martha's expression is one step away from hatred.

"Martha, I can explain." I choke out once I've got over the initial shock of seeing Owen again "He's still undead. He tried to kill Ianto, and that was the only thing I could think of to do."

Martha recomposes herself "If you'd wanted to get rid of him, Jack, why didn't you just tell me? That way I would've left him there."

I can feel a slight blush creeping up my neck. "I'd... Forgotten he was there." I mumble. Holy shit, Jack. This guy tried to murder your fiance'. And then you encased him in ice.

How did I forget Owen...?

I don't even hear Gwen approach me, but her slap snaps me back to reality. It stings and I involuntarily stroke my cheek, feeling for any real damage. Tears are forming in Gwen's eyes. She may be married, but it's obvious that she still cares about him. 

Martha doesn't go to hit me, but pulls me close to her.

"The Doctor never forgot anyone Jack, not even you." she hisses, her hot breath in my ear "How could you forget someone if he never did, in over a thousand years of travelling."

This attack has taken me completely by surprise. I gulp and try not to tear up as a wave of sadness washes over me as I remember all the loved ones that I have lost. 

"Ok, show's over. Everyone get back to work." I bark, hard exterior returning "And Martha," I lower my voice slightly "If you want to become a full-time doctor here, the offer is still open. I'm sorry about Owen, but it's your choice if you want to defrost him and sew him back together."

"Sew him-" she starts. I ignore her, turning to storm away, my coat billowing behind me.

I guess I won't tell Ianto today after all.