Chapter 10

Jack's POV
~

I stop the SUV and get out. The night is clear and crisp, perfectly normal for the 6th December. I walk over to Ianto, who is standing on the pavement.
I look up at the sky, noting how beautiful it is. I sign silently when unwanted thoughts fill me head. John is out there somewhere, getting pissed in some intergalactic bar, trying to drown his feelings because of me. I feel terrible every time I think of what I’ve put him through in the millennia that I’ve known him. Just as well the Doctor somehow made him into a fixed point in time too. Actually, no it’s not! I don’t want to grow old with that asshole!
"Hopefully there won’t be any aliens over London this year, hey Ianto." I laugh, trying to raise my spirits again.
"You would get to see the Doctor again if there were though, sir." he says, his voice cutting through me like a knife. There is a tone in it that sounds like accusation, as if he thinks I prefer the Doctor to him. Oh Yan, you are naïve sometimes.
"You are far more important to me than he is." I say, my hand slowly caressing his cheek as I gaze into his eyes.
Ianto leans forward and his lips connect with mine, joining us at the soul for just a few seconds. Do I have a soul? Or did it die on Satellite 5? Hmm, I should ask the Doctor that next time I see him. Aah, maybe not then…
The question distracts me. I think I've died too many times to be sure if I had a soul in the first place, let alone that it’s still with me.
"Let's go inside," I say "But no peeking. I want to see the look of surprise on your face when you realize where we are." I playfully put my hands over his eyes so he can't see where we're going.
I don’t think that this was a good idea - after lots of bumping into things (a lamppost, other people, the outdoor sign and the doorframe) and laughter, we eventually arrive in the foyer of the ‘restaurant’ I've chosen. I hope he’ll like it.
"Surprise." I whisper, lifting my hands from Ianto's eyes.
He takes a second to adjust to the bright lights, his face scrunched up like he’s just eaten a lemon.
Then he relaxes and his bright blue eyes light up as he realizes where we are. Mission accomplished, I think.