Chapter 11

Ianto's POV

~

I can't believe we're actually here. After all these years of dreaming, it's finally reality.

I instantly recognize the building once we're inside, as someone I worked with at Torchwood One got to visit. They took loads of photos and took full advantage of bragging to all of us lowly personnel. They were going to tell us the location of this highly-classified place, but a bullet in the back of the skull stopped them. That's the price of secrets in Torchwood - you have to take them to the grave with you. And I know many more than worthy of a bullet, and most of those are about Jack.

"Jack..." I breathe, my heart fluttering "I can't believe it..."

The butterflies in my stomach turn into mice, quietly nibbling away at my insides. I feel slightly sick, as I really want to impress him, but don’t want to say too much and scare him off. If I had known we were coming here, I would have brought the box with me. Maybe…? No, Ianto. He doesn’t like long-term commitments, he’s told you so a hundred times. Stop getting your hopes up for something that’s never going to happen. You’re just being a big idiot.

Then Jack smiles at me before taking my hand, and all the nerves and bad thoughts vanish instantly.

He takes my hand and we go over to a desk that’s stuffed with a rack of menus, a bookings folder and a tray of buzzers for when people have to wait for tables.

"Reservation under the name 'Harkness'." Jack says matter-of-factly to a mid-height girl with a ponytail, who was standing behind the aforementioned desk. She eyes him a little and visibly bites her lip, then notices that we’re holding hands and scowls.

She scans through a list (I see the flicker of her trying to decide whether to deny us a table) and then nods, silently leading us through a maze of fake walls and floor-to-ceiling mirrors to our table.

The table has a tropical fish tank next to it, the fish looking luminous under the ultra-violet lights hidden inside the plants in there. A catfish catches my eye and I smile, watching as it grazes on the bottom of the tank with waving whiskers.. 

"I thought you would like it here," Jack smiles at me and breaks the comfortable silence.

"But... How did you know?" I ask him, still stunned at the fact that we’re here.

"No offense, Ianto, but everyone wants to visit Torchwood Four." Jack says with a smile "However, only the very special people get to." he winks at me and my heart flutters.

I am in Torchwood Four. Hidden inside one of the best restaurants in the UK and a four-hour drive from the Cardiff Hub. Lisa once joked that if I ever brought her here, she would marry me on the spot. That really shows how effective the price and location is at seducing people.

A pair of menus are delivered to us by the same girl, who is still scowling. I hear her cough as if to say something when she leaves, but I miss what she actually says. I think Jack heard it though, as his expression clouds for the fleetest second.

"Order whatever you want." Jack says "I'm paying."

I try to object, but Jack reaches across the table and gently puts a finger on my lips. Oh, if only he would replace that finger with his lips…

"Shh-hhhhh. What's the point of having money if I can't spend it on the person I love?" he soothes me, causing me to blush and my brain to go fuzzy around the edges. My heart speeds up again, and the blush only grows stronger as I try to stop it.