Chapter 8

Jack's POV

~

I hear Ianto leave and go upstairs. Well, all I hear above the rushing water is the click of the door, but it means the same thing.

Ianto always gets jumpy and shoots upstairs whenever I have a shower; he hates the way the others judge us. I think Owen is just sour that he's the living dead and we’re the only ones he has a constant ‘excuse’ to lash out at. Then he encourages Gwen, so together they annoy us and pound Ianto's feelings.

Obviously I hate it too, but it affects him far more than me. I'm used to things like this: the prejudice, the stares, tbe cat-calls. But things are slowly getting better in those respects . The thing I hated most was the look of hurt in John's eyes when he found out about Ianto and I.

I am so deeply in love with him. I hope he realizes that, doesn't think I'm just using him. That's what Owen keeps telling him, and I can tell that Ianto is starting to consider the truth behind it, which breaks my heart. The seeds of doubt are planted deep, all I need is Ianto’s near-constant worrying to water them and then weeds will grow to choke his mind further. Then I will probably end up alone again, doing a John – drowning my sorrows every night in an intergalactic bar somewhere far away.

My mind starts to wander and I think of the little square box in my bedside table. It’s hidden in the bedside table, in the gap under the removable bottom shelf, where I keep all my most precious things. (And it’s where I hide his diary every now and then so I can have a read when he’s out.)

Should I ask him?

I think so. I think now would be the best time for the question I have to ask, before Owen poisons Ianto's mind further. But at the same time I don’t want to rush things, as if he says no… Well, I’ll be upset to say the least.

I think I will just need to find the right setting to do it in. A romantic dinner, maybe? Candles, music, nice food, hot waiters (focus, Jack!)... Surrounded by well-disguised alien artefacts…

I suddenly click my fingers. I know the perfect place.

It's just a question of how to get him there without him suspecting. I think a long car drive is in order, I just hope he won’t get travel-sick.