Chapter 23

Ianto's POV

~

All I can hear is Jack singing in the shower. The background noise of the hub fades as my ears focus only on his voice.

"Can you feel the love tonightttt?" he sings. I don't even particularly like the Lion King, but the captivating beauty of his voice makes my heart flutter in my chest like a caged bird.

"Yes, I can." the quiet murmur leaves my lips involuntarily, as I sink onto the bed with a sigh. His voice is truly breathtaking.

He continues the song and I am swept away by his voice. Every note is perfect as I'm washed out to sea by the crashing tidal wave of sound, drowning all my other senses.

All I seem able to do is smile. As the song ends I can't help but feel an emptiness in my chest and I sit there frozen in place, still recovering.

After a few endless minutes, the water turns off and Jack emerges from the bathroom, trailed by a cloud of hot steam.

The aroma of his citrus body-wash drifts to me with the hot air and wakes me from the trance, and my thoughts start moving again. I talk before thinking, and I whisper "Your voice..." still awestruck.

"Ianto, I didn't realize you were in here. I don't like people hearing me sing." he says, sides of his mouth curling into a small frown.

"Your voice is beautiful, Jack." I say, unsure of how to calm the beast.

He smiles, a nervy, not-quite-real half-smile.

I dart over to him and kiss his lips quickly before vanishing up the ladder, ready to get back to work.

I only came downstairs to ask if he wanted coffee...