Chapter 33 - February

Jack's POV
~
John appears in the Torchwood base without warning. He wanders in with a smile, after no-doubt seducing Ianto enough to be let in. He looks up at me, I'm in my upstairs office watching everything, and smiles.
I discreetly press my com "Ianto, please explain."
There's  moment of silence and then gentle crackling as he replies "John said he had something urgent to tell you."
I sigh. Perfect morning, having a discussion with my ex, the only person who supported my mad idea.
John is in the room with me before I know it.

His breathing is fast and he's sweating slightly. Despite what he might say, I can tell what's on his mind.
"If you're expecting sex, you've come to the wrong place."
"No." he replies, then blushes "Well, yes. But not directly."
I laugh, but my pulse still quickens.
"Have you told him yet?" John asks, his eyes burning into me.
"How can I, John?" I say, looking down "What would you tell him, if you were me?"
He grips my chin and tilts my head upwards.
"I would tell him the truth." his gaze is sad. He still cares about me.
Without knowing what's happening, my lips crash into his. I ache for his closeness. His tongue caresses my bottom lip, but then he pulls back. He has the look of a wounded animal, knowing that I am so close to him but the pain is too great.
"Just tell him before you get married. Please, Jack. If you ever loved me, just tell him." John presses the central button on his vortex manipulator and he's gone.

Alarms blare downstairs, alerting everyone to the rift disturbance.
"False alarm!" I yell "It's just John."