Chapter 35 - March

Ianto's POV

~

I sip my coffee and smile. Even though I made it, I always enjoy the fact that it is exactly how I like it.

Scarlett paws at my leg and barks, so I look down at her. Her black lead is in her mouth and she has a hopeful look in her eyes. I ruffle the fur between her soft ears.

"Jack, I'm going to walk Scarlett." I call to him. He's in the shower so I don't hear his water-muffled reply.

As we step into the afternoon sunshine, Scarlett pulls me along with haste that can only mean one thing.

She's been on so many rift-disturbance calls with the team that she can sense them.

Her lead slips from my hand and she takes off towards the bay. She gets to the end of the decking that overlooks the water and barks at its murky depth.

I'm panting by the time I get near her, but she doesn't wait for long.

My disobedient dog dives into the water, going after whatever came through the rift... Where is she? Surely she should be back by now?

I breathe a sigh of relief as her white-and-brown head breaks the surface of the water. There's what looks like an egg in her mouth.

The wide end is in her mouth, with the pointed end protruding. After she's spat it out, I see that the egg is almost the size of a basketball. And I think I recognize the type.

The egg is still warm, it must have slipped through recently.

Time to get back to the Hub and see if this egg is what I think it is, and stop my dog from smelling of seawater.