Chapter 1.

Jake.

Jake.

Jake.

He was on my mind as I ran. I don't know why. Maybe it was because he said that he'd take me to be US when he was on business. Or maybe it was because he said he wanted to spend quality time with me.

I really don’t get how much more time he wants to spend with me. We used to date so we lived together, but then we broke up and still live together as friends but he calls it “friends” using quotes.

It was always awkward to see him. We never really were in a serious relationship but we just dated for a few months. We decided that it was weird and that we should just be friends. I hated the feeling I got when I talked to him about how good looking a guy on TV was because he would get this weird look in his eyes. Jealousy? Maybe.

I could feel my body get hot as I ran. Sweat poured from my skin and I could feel my ponytail whip from side to side with each stride I took.

Now you may be asking “Why are you running?”

I would say that it was my usual jog. I always run in the morning.

I'm a college student and the only job I have is being the life guard here in the UK. That is where I met Jake and my friends and best friend Nad or Nadeen.

I loved my life here. I had awesome friends, I was getting great grades, and I had an amazing job. And before you ask yes I am single and I’m loving it.

Back to my run. It was a nice summer day at 6 in the morning. The sun was about to rise and no shops were open.

I jogged past the local cafe, the deli, and then the candy shop. The road and sidewalk consisted of different colored bricks.

I wore short running shorts a tank top and running shoes. I turned past the last shop, nearly being run over, and continued onto the sandy and already steaming hot beach.

I heard some wolf whistles and odd noises being yelled into the air. I didn't turn around since I believed it to be drunken old men that just exited the bar. I never understood why men and women drank early in the morning. Were they just getting in there or leaving the bar?

I ran to edge of the water stripping off my tank top and shorts to reveal my bikini. It was red and white stripped. Red was my favorite color along with green since I do have green eyes.

I threw my clothes into the sand far enough away from the water to make sure it'd stay dry. I sighed as I breathed in sand and the salty air. It was just amazing here.

I looked around for a tall rock to jump off of and found one to my right and climbed it.

I made sure nothing was lurking in the water and then I dove in. The water was cool yet refreshing. I started doing the front stroke to get myself warmed up for the day.

I was a great swimmer but I had an accident awhile back that caused me to stop swimming. I never really got back to swimming after I lost my family member in that swimming accident.

I was the one to blame. I was the only one there with him and I caused the accident. I never would get into competitive swimming again but I always swam to keep up my lifeguard standards.

Little boys, teens, and the occasional old man would pretend to drown just so I could perform mouth to mouth on them.

Sick people they are sometimes.

Sick people.

I continued my front stroke until I ran into someone. “Oomph!!” we both said.

I was pushed under, not even a breath was taken, while the other person went above bulldozing me over. That asshole!!

I gasped for air under water because the right side of my face was stinging. I saw blood in the water, my blood, so I felt my cheek still falling to the bottom.

There were three thick cuts on my face. They went from above my eyebrow down to my jaw line each line parallel to the other.

I gasped again falling farther into the water. I tried to swim higher but there was nothing to push off of.

I was losing air fast. I tried grabbing for something, anything but it was no use I was falling and I was drowning.

I was dead I knew it.

Or maybe I wasn't because at that moment a figure dove straight into the water coming straight down to me down to the bottom of the 60 foot deep sandy floor.

My vision was gong foggy and the figure continued to swim down to me.

I completely blacked out when I was being picked up bridal style, brought above water while the last few bubbles of air left my mouth.