Chapter 35.

Avery’s POV

Zayn jumps as it almost hits his foot. He bends down and picks up the phone, the other line still connected.

“Hello?” Katarina asks from the other side. “Did I lose connection?”

“No, I’m still here.” Zayn says, watching me as I feel numb all over.

What the fuck? My eyes widen as a million thoughts rush through my mind. Scott was married as he was away? To someone named Katarina?! Why didn’t he tell me?!

“You are not married to him!” I hiss at the phone. I snatch it away from Zayn he watches me in shock, my outburst surprising him. “He was never married to you.”

“Oh? My ring would like to contradict,” she tells me, her Russian accent becoming more prominent now.

“It’s fake.” I tell her saucily.

“Our child would also like to have an opinion on that too.”

I grip the phone tighter and I stumble a bit before speaking, “W-what?!”

“Yes, he and I have a child…I thought he would’ve told you since you and him are so close.” Were, I correct her through my mind.

Wait…she’s been speaking in present terms…like he’s still alive. No…I couldn’t be the one to tell her. I just…

“No…he never told me anything…” I whisper, tears prickling at my eyes. I use my palm and force the waterworks back. This couldn’t be real; I should’ve left the number alone.

“That’s very surprising. He was always fond of you when we were together.” I can almost hear a smile in her voice. This causes a small forced away pained cry to slip out. My lip quivers and I hold the back side of my hand to my forehead.

“Yeah…I can only imagine.” I mutter. Zayn watches me sadly, and then takes the phone from my hands.

“Yeah, hello?” He says, putting the phone to his ear. “Yes, it’s me again. My name is actually Zayn.” He pauses as the woman speaks to him. “Yes, she had to run from the phone for a moment. Listen, Avery wants to meet you.”

I widen my eyes and try to pull my phone from his grasp. He waves his injured arm at me, so I wouldn’t hurt him…too much. I groan, sitting on my made bed. I begin to massage my pain filled skull. Why was it that I was surrounded by so much hurt?

“So where do you live?” Zayn eyes me carefully. I look away from him as he continues to speak, “Wait, where?!”

I look up nervous now. Where did this woman with her baby live? Wait…if Scott was that baby’s father…then that’s my niece or nephew. Holy shit, I’m an aunt! My jaw has officially been dropped.

“Um, thief?”

I look up at the sound of the heart-pulling nickname, “What?”

“We have a problem…” He whispers.

“What is it?” I sit up straighter.

“She lives far away from here.”

“How far?” I stand walking over to him as he extends the arm he’s holding the phone with.

“Try Russia.”

If I was drinking water, it’d be running down Zayn’s face by now. My heart sped up as the country’s name repeated in my head over and over again. Russia? Russia. Russia. God damn it.

“Um…can you hold on for a moment?” Zayn asks into the phone. After a short response he puts the phone down and places his hands on my shoulders, forcing me to sit back down. “It’s alright Avery.”

“But…that’s far.”

Wow, way to be intelligent me.

Zayn chuckles a bit to himself, “I know, I passed geography.”

“How…how are we supposed to meet her now?” I put my numb head into my hand. My thumbs begin to rub circles into the sides, just missing the bandage.

“I can fly her in…if that’s alright with you.” He shrugs his shoulders as if it were nothing. AS IF.

“But, you know I won’t let you do that.” I shake my head.

“Yeah you will.”

“Why would I do that?” I tilt my head at him.

“Because in return you have to put up with me for the rest of your life.” He sticks out his tongue playfully.

“You’re an idiot.” I mumble.

“But I’m yours.”

“Yeah whatever, we’ll see.” I look away ignoring him playfully.

“Hey!”

“Fine…you can fly her in…fly them in…” Saying them was all so surreal to me. She has a child. He had a child. I’m going to meet my…deceased brother’s wife…and their child.

This is unimaginable.

“I’ll make the arrangements then, be back in a minute.” Zayn walks out the door with the phone, a pad and pencil –I had used to draw, I sucked- and his phone out. I wave him off as he walks down the hall probably to go to the kitchen counter for some space to spread out.

I looked around my room, seeing all of my brother’s belongings scattered about it. His uniform was so sleek that I thought it had never been worn.

I reached up to my neck, feeling the cool metal of the necklace against my skin. Tears sprung to my eyes as memories began to unfold in my mind.

All those years ago, I felt like this whole thing could have been avoided if I stopped him. If I didn’t let him go off, he would have been alive still, most likely.

I could have stopped him, I was to blame for his death. I understand my parents now, I was the problem.

“Okay so, Katarina and the baby will be here in two days time. They have to get their passports together and pack before their flights. Hey, are you alright?” He finally looks up at me, rushing over with his slight limp.

I shake my head at him, “My parents were right.”

“Right about what?”

“Scott, I caused his death.” I burry my face in his neck and he wraps his arms around my waist.

“Avery…you’re very wrong right now.”

“No, I’m not.” I whisper as I begin to cry. “I’m the problem, like they said.”

“Hey!” He snaps, his hands push me back away from him firmly. He holds my shoulders tightly and he looks me dead in the eye. His once relaxed topaz brown eyes turn an almost dark shade. “You are not a problem, do you understand?”

I stare at him in shock, nodding slowly when his grip tightens a bit. He loosens his arms from my shoulders and wraps me up in a hug. I breathe in his scent as he pulls me down onto my bed. He lays down, holding me.

I watched as his eyes closed, those beautiful eyes leaving my sight. Zayn, he was such a mystery. He was someone I would never get bored of.

I’m glad I have that deal with him now. He was someone I could spend the rest of my life with.

****

So, Katarina and Avery are going to meet?

I wonder how she'll take the news about Scott.

Has TEAM Zayn won it all?

Find out in chapter 36:

Votes: 20?

Comments: 20?

I LOVE YOU ALL MY LOVELY LOVES!!