Chapter 34.

• Dedicated to All my lovely fans :')

Avery’s POV

I stood in front of my locked tight flat door.

Zayn had taken a cautious step back in case something happened. What? No clue. I was just so confused and overwhelmed with the sudden rush of remembering everything and my now exposed love for Zayn.

I didn’t know what it was about him…well, I actually might know.

He was amazing in every way. Not just his looks –but those were definitely swoon worthy, just saying- but the way he just was. He was the kindest person I knew, he cared for everyone and he fought for what he believed in.

Hell! He fought off a jaguar that attacked us!

“Are you-”

“Yeah, just give me a second.” I tell him, fishing through Louis’ oversized jumped, searching for the key. I pull out the metal key shaped device and fit it into the lock. Using my shoulder, I ram it into the door and it falls through with a small creak. My head began to throb a bit, even if I was released from the hospital awhile ago.

I take a step into the place. Everything was exactly the way I thought it’d be left as. A fan was running, the dishwasher was finished –I’m quite surprised that it didn’t explode- and dust covered the place. I could see my laundry basket by the door, as if Nad was going to clean it for me when I was gone.

I take a few steps in and motion for Zayn to follow me. He stepped inside, his body instantly blending into the laid back surroundings. He was cool like that, easy to camouflage into I mean.

“So…which room is yours?” he asks me, stuffing his hands into his pants pockets. His brace stuck out like a sore thumb on his leg. I felt a sudden rush of sadness and anger.

“The first one.” I take the lead and I can hear a quiet thud, Zayn following close behind. He was like a puppy. Cute.

I open the door and not surprisingly, everything wasn’t in the places I left them in. My bed was made my drawers were closed –opposed to being open as per usual- and it was all clean and neat. Nad had been here. She was a horrible cleaning roommate.

“Now, the real search begins.” I mutter as walk over to the large trunk that held all the belongings my brother owned while away at his base. Every soldier had one, each to his own. I hadn’t opened it much when I first got it, convinced that Scott’s –my brother- soul was hanging onto it.

I spin the dial of his birthday –he wasn’t very creative with combos- and it pops open. I rest my hand gently on the lid, feeling the rough material under my fingertips. I slowly curl my fingers under the lid and pull it open. It bounces against the foot of my bed and I see as everything in the trunk shift a bit.

I took in a deep breath seeing the picture of Scott and I before he left for Basic Training. I hadn’t cried as much as I did that night when I was left alone. He had tried to call as much as possible, but he wasn’t really allowed until his graduation day a few months later.

I was the only one to go to his ceremony. Mom and dad still couldn’t believe what he had done to ‘them’. All he wanted to do was join the army and do what he loved, helping people. It wasn’t a ‘bone-head’ move. It was a move full of love and care.

He reminded me of Zayn sometimes. The way I could joke with Zayn was just as easy as with Scott. I can honestly say, they are my two favorite men in my life, even if Scott did pass.

An arm circles my shoulder, and I’m pulled into a warm, sweet smelling chest. I sigh relaxing into Zayn as his fingers trace my spine. Slowly but surely I am calmed down by the motion.