Chapter 55

The moon is high in the sky as Zane hacks away at a training log with his father's swords in the inner courtyard of Brinonberg Palace

The moon is high in the sky as Zane hacks away at a training log with his father's swords in the inner courtyard of Brinonberg Palace. The noise attracts Baschera as he roams the dark castle hallways, unable to sleep as well. Zane notices Baschera's presence in the courtyard before delivering the last blow to his supposed Rebel attacker.

"You attack that log with the vengeance of a madman," jokes Baschera.

"I have to do something with all of this energy so I may actually get some sleep tonight," smiles Zane.

"Well, I'm impressed by your form, and it's interesting that you choose to use two swords. Most men cannot properly use both of them in a fight, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised given the fact of who your father was," declares Baschera.

"Thanks! Maybe when we aren't headed to fight Rebels, we could spar sometime," insists Zane.

"I would like that. I can't deny that it hadn't already crossed my mind. When I learned you are the son of Lord Hagan, I began to wonder if the skill had been passed down," admits Baschera.

"I doubt that I am anywhere close to my father's skill with a sword, but I am a quick learner," reveals Zane as he sits in the bleachers that line the edge of the inner courtyard.

"Well, in any case, I look forward to it and am honored to fight next to you tomorrow. I still feel like I should apologize though. The last time we met I was without clothes and threw a bottle of wine at you. Nice catch by the way!" Laughs Baschera.

"I could have gone longer without being reminded of seeing you naked. It seems as if it's customary for everyone around here to get naked and show me at some point," retorts Zane with a laugh.

"Who else have you seen naked lately?" Laughs Baschera.

"Well, when I brought Rose to the infirmary, Lady Marie cut off Rose's dress and pulled it off right in front of me, then Lady Marie came to my room and also got naked," smiles Zane as he shakes his head.

"Really! Yeah, she does that. You didn't take her up on her offer did you?"

"No. It was hard to decline, but I made a commitment to Rose and could never do that to her."

"Yeah, my willpower wasn't so strong, on many occasions," admits Baschera.

"Imagine that!" laughs Zane.

"Yeah, it's a mistake that I continue to make."

"Yeah, seems like your indiscretions have put you in a tricky place," declares Zane.

"Believe me, I know. I definitely didn't plan to be with the person you first saw me with, so please keep that between you and me," pleads Baschera

"I think it's probably for the best. Asher would be crushed if he knew," declares Zane. "So is that why you cannot sleep at night?"

"That's part of it, but Fallon is really the cause of my sleepless nights. Do you know where she is? I heard that she left Chora on her own," questions Baschera.